Dude! This guy makes his sax sound like a guitar!!!

• Members

being a huge Hendrix fan, I couldn't resist giving this a listen. I don't know why it was titled If 6 was 9 because it doesn't resemble that song at all. We're talking more in the live 'Red House' groove here and I think that was what Charlie was going for.

The sax playing didn't do that much for me though. Sound was cool, I agree with that.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Cool clip man :cool: Kinda like a Weather Report vibe with your trumpet sounding like Wayne on soprano. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a mute was also involved with the effects...(?)

Doesn't sound like a guitar ... more like a synth ... but everything other than bass and drums on this track is me (trumpet through various effects):

http://www.konakkol.com/music/other/synth_tpt.mp3

• Members

I believe I was going through a 535Q, SynthWah, Guyatone slow gear clone, PS3, DL4, some sort of phaser, and reverb. The gaps in my playing were from having to stomp on the SynthWah, Guyatone, and PS3 sequentially...

And yeah, I was using a practice mute cuz that was recorded back in the days before I got my Whisper Room/studio...

Danroth, to most effectively use distortion live, you can't use a mic (it'll feed back in an instant). A trick I picked up from Dana Leong is to use that crappy Yamaha Silent Brass mute. It's awful at what it's supposed to do, but it works great as a microphone that eliminates all external noise. You can run that into a distortion pedal and control it just as well as you can a guitar signal. In fact, sometimes I use the pickup mute on gigs where I really don't want to have a live (unaffected) sound at all.

• Members

Danroth, to most effectively use distortion live, you can't use a mic (it'll feed back in an instant). A trick I picked up from Dana Leong is to use that crappy Yamaha Silent Brass mute. It's awful at what it's supposed to do, but it works great as a microphone that eliminates all external noise. You can run that into a distortion pedal and control it just as well as you can a guitar signal. In fact, sometimes I use the pickup mute on gigs where I really don't want to have a live (unaffected) sound at all.

sweet, thanks for the tip :)

• Members

The sax player in that clip is really going at it! I bet that was cool for the live audience...

Indofunk, I like the effects you got on the trp, and your tip for using the silent brass mute. Thanks!

I dug up a track I composed a couple years ago. It's the open for a film about these crazy guys that rock climb with dune buggys. Very extreme. You should see the footage of them climbing up these huge rock formations in their open-air vehicles...

Anyway, the "lead guitar" in the open is actually tenor sax. I wasn't really going for an exact lead guitar sound, or I would have just used a guitar. I wanted some ambiguity, which I think the sax gave to the melody.

Here it is:

http://www.realsax.com/Rocks1.html

Regards,

Jim

Archived