Anyone know what tools are required to make french progressive house duo music?

Rushfan2112

• Members

ok its all about cheap stuff to start with

daft punk used about 3 or 4 elements combined together for most of there original stuff (or so i heard)

get a compressor and a filter rack (cheep and nasty ones will do the can sound good)

an then start messing around with sample loops sequencing and stuff you could probably go all computer based for it all if you wanted

• Members

A computer-based sequencer with filter plugin can do heaps indeed for that One More Time/Digital Love sound. I had fun doing big filter sweeps of my mixes back right around when Discovery came out, and the filter plugin included with Digital Performer on my Mac was all it took.

Compression for a "swelling" effect is something I have yet to perfect. When a kick(slong with a few other sounds from the mix) hits the front end of the compressor with a relatively slow decay, you can get wobbly feeling like on One More Time and that Stardust hit many of us are familiar with. Mixed back into a full mix, the dynamics aren't lost, but you still get that pulsating effect.

EDIT: crap, youtube video not popping up on the forum as hoped...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrjOhQZWU7k

• Members

On the Human After All album Daft Punk used a simple set up . They massively used the cheap Digitech Synth Wah pedals :-)

For the rest, in their Live set up they use several Moog Voyager rack units to filter their samples (managed through computer with midi controllers)
Kind of expensive for filters ;-) but as someone said above you could get the same feeling with any Low pass filter out there

V

• Members

On the Human After All album Daft Punk used a simple set up . They massively used the cheap
Digitech Synth Wah
pedals :-)

For the rest, in their Live set up they use several Moog Voyager rack units to filter their samples (managed through computer with midi controllers)

Kind of expensive for filters ;-) but as someone said above you could get the same feeling with any Low pass filter out there

V

Synth Wahs? rad. Yeah Moog Voyager racks would be way expensive. A midi controller is pretty necessary, though.

thanks mangs for putting up with my electro-noob questions!

Archived