Lead sound on "A Girl Like You"

robomatic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yup. A lot of funk guitar tones are DI - hyper-clean. Other parts on some of your favorite records are probably also DI'ed - it's not my "go to" method of recording guitars, but it's certainly a viable technique, and another useful tool in the toolbox.
:cool:

DI guitars became really uncool late 80's/early 90's, and to merely suggest DI'ing ones guitar could have one standing alone in a corner for at least 3 hours, at least where I was playing and hanging out at the time...

Here's a cool little experiment... Listen to Revolution in iTunes and select the display to show graphic eq. Note how full range the frequencies are on the Revolution DI guitar (when played isolated at the start), then find some other guitar sounds in your iTunes library that are played in isolation and compare them... (Paranoid makes a good comparison...)

Black Dog is DI, that sound is as cool as DI gets IMO...

Just listening to Strange Brew by Cream earlier, and I'm pretty sure the rhythm guitar is DI'd on that...

DI guitar is very cool when used correctly!:thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just thought I'd add to the information mine as I found an interview with Edwyn in the 3 August 1996 edition of Melody Maker:

"On the Gorgeous George album, we used the sound of the room, quite a lot for ambience, and compressed it if we wanted to make it more extreme. It's like the guitar sounds on 'A Girl Like You' that everyone seems to have been very curious about. It was just a Stratocaster through a Colorsound fuzz unit - which they've now miraculously reissued as the Tonebender - and straight into the desk. The wah effect was sampled by my engineer Sebastian Lewsley and we just used the envelope filers to get that call and response thing"

I think the mixing desk in question is a 1969 Neve A47 going by information in the rest of the interview. At the time, his studio had three desks: the Neve, a small Mackie and a DDA that wa sused for headphone balances. Can't imagine he'd go DI using the Mackie somehow when you've got a vinatge Neve sat there :)

The interview also mentions the rack compressors as being Estoteric Audio Research 660s which are described as being Fairchild valve clones.

Archived