Korg Fires Back!

zoink

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mine are just fine, thanks.

Hint #1: they sound almost *nothing* alike, aside from some things which reflect the general approach of Korg's sound designers. That's probably because they're almost entirely different inside. Including the DACs - which on the OASYS are 24bit/96kHz (although they normally run at 48kHz).

Hint #2: DACs are a very small part of how a synthesizer sounds, at least nowadays. The algorithms (how the oscillators, filters, etc. work) are much more important, and they vary widely between different synths.

That's BS and you know it. Stop being a goddamn idiot and open your ears.

Hint #1: The OAYSYS CANNOT be switched from 48khz. This is because KORG's R&D department dropped their Swatch watches at that Flock Of Seagulls concert, and are of the opinion that 1985's technology is today's technology.

Hint #2: You're talking about synth CHARACTER. The DAC has a BIG effect on the sound coming out QUALITY wise, ie: sample rate/frequency. But hey, if you WANT your synth to sound like Rolf Harris playing a kazoo through a hiking sock on an AM radio, that's completely up to you.

• Members

Hi zoink, just stick to your opinion and ignore the crap from the peanut gallery. Anyway, you're not alone in your positive first impressions. I guess the fact that most stores and online services are having a hard time keeping them in stock says something about that too. The M3 is a real winner, regardless of what the naysayers attempt to convince us otherwise.

• Members

Hint #2: You're talking about synth
CHARACTER
. The DAC has a BIG effect on the sound coming out
QUALITY
wise, ie: sample rate/frequency. But hey, if you
WANT
your synth to sound like Rolf Harris playing a kazoo through a hiking sock on an AM radio, that's completely up to you.

Thats a really strange comment - do you know what impacts the character of a *modern* synth as you perceive it? HINT - Virus model B (maybe A too) compared to C and TI and comparing analog outs vs digital via USB/SPDIF etc...

Have fun in your research...

• Members
What lewey said (not actually spoken) pertained to what was written by the original poster and not the actual sounds of the 2 synths.

I think

no, I actually meant that Oasys sounds like Triton to me (slightly crisper), same artificial trademark Korg sound which i'm no fan of (save for analog part of Oasys and other extras triton doesn't have)... i wouldn't pay even 500$ for it, but hey, that's just me... :idk:

• Members

Thats a really strange comment - do you know what impacts the character of a *modern* synth as you perceive it? HINT - Virus model B (maybe A too) compared to C and TI and comparing analog outs vs digital via USB/SPDIF etc...

Have fun in your research...

A Virus TI running at 16-bit over USB and running 24-bit over DAC, it pretty much sounds like a Virus, but the 24-bit sound has more meat to it.

• Members

Hint #2: You're talking about synth
CHARACTER
. The DAC has a BIG effect on the sound coming out
QUALITY
wise, ie: sample rate/frequency. But hey, if you
WANT
your synth to sound like Rolf Harris playing a kazoo through a hiking sock on an AM radio, that's completely up to you.

Aliasing, max filter and resonance frequencies, steppiness/smoothness of modulation signals, etc. are all matters of quality, imo. Those are in the domain of the algorithm - not the DAC. Assuming that the DAC is good enough, it matters relatively little in comparison.

• Members

A Virus TI running at 16-bit over USB and running 24-bit over DAC, it pretty much sounds the same. It still sounds like a Virus, but the 24-bit sound has more meat to it.

How do you know?

Are you sure it isnt an effect of your mixer/preamp/line in circuits? Or maybe even the outs on your audio interface as well including processing of dealing with a 16 bit source vs a 24 bit source that has gone through DA conversion?

OK... what about differences between model B, C and TI analog outs? or even through processing on them - ie audio in - processed by its effects, then out via analog outs?

BTW - the only reason I bring the Virus into this is because its the only synth that I know of where the algorythms has been purposefully maintained over several versions of hardware to retain the synths original character.

Yes - I am sometimes aware of differences between the USB on the TI and the analog outs on the TI - but no way in hell I could tell you where the differences come from (ie from which part of the analog chain) beyond the obvious 16/24 bit difference which may or may not have an audiable impact depending upon the signal processing you do.

• Members

I wonder what that Global parameter for clock rate does on the 96kHz setting, then?

WTF cares, it's a goddamn OASYS! The only people who have them are that no-talent assclown Jordan Rudess and Stephen Kay, a man who has his heart in the right place but is not really all together and couldn't write a synth demo to save his life.

Tell me, why do you want to be like those rejects?

P.S. It probably refers to the internal clock before it is downsampled to 16bit.

You can have the nicest analog signal in the world, but it will still degrade in quality as you lower the bitdepth, just like an image.

• Members

WTF cares, it's a goddamn OASYS! The only people who have them are that no-talent assclown Jordan Rudess and Stephen Kay, a man who has his heart in the right place but is not really all together and couldn't write a synth demo to save his life.

Tell me, why do you want to be like those rejects?

P.S. It probably refers to the internal clock before it is downsampled to 16bit.

You can have the nicest analog signal in the world, but it will still degrade in quality as you lower the bitdepth, just like an image.

I'm quoting your entire message, just in case you come to your senses and edit or delete it. To summarize: you said that the DACs are 16-bit. They're not. You said that the DACs couldn't be switched from 48kHz. They can. You've said that algorithms don't affect audio quality. They do.

• Members

rules for the HC forums:

1. never ever say you like something. if you like it, then you probably work for the company and are not welcome here

2. be an asshole to anyone who likes anything. {censored} on any thread, just because you can

3. the less important the topic, the more emphaticly you must state, restate, and escalate your position. you are right, and everyone else is a moron.

• Members

I've never said that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I wrote:

Hint #2: DACs are a very small part of how a synthesizer sounds, at least nowadays. The algorithms (how the oscillators, filters, etc. work) are much more important, and they vary widely between different synths.

You responded:

That's BS and you know it. Stop being a goddamn idiot and open your ears.

Hint #2: You're talking about synth CHARACTER. The DAC has a BIG effect on the sound coming out QUALITY wise, ie: sample rate/frequency. But hey, if you WANT your synth to sound like Rolf Harris playing a kazoo through a hiking sock on an AM radio, that's completely up to you.

QED.

Archived