Can One Fuzz Pedal Do The Following Decently???

Josh O

• Members

Looking to buy a fuzz that can cop that QOTSA/Fu-Manchu/Orange Goblin type sound but can still give me a useable fuzz for Grand Funk Railroad Red Album tone and Smashing Pumpkins. I realize that with QOTSA, Josh Homme is absolutely wailing his Ampegs and that he's usually tuned down to C but something that kind of cop his tone from the first album (think How to Handle a Rope or Mexicola, pretty wooly). I think I'm crossing many fuzz boundaries here as Smashing Pumpkins was pretty Muff heavy if I remember correctly, who knows what Farner was using on the first GFR album and I've read conflicting reports of which fuzz the guys in Fu-Manchu use.

Here's my definete desires:

1. true bypass

2. don't care if it's articulate and cleans up well

3. nothing bigger than EHX Little Muff, don't have much real estate on my board

4. do need any octave up/down functions

5. plays well with a Bogner amp

6. preferably under $150

7. and for probably the deal killer - can "decently" cop the stoner rock feel yet can get in the Smashing Pumpkins territory and even yet, early Grand Funk

Some ones I've considered but have no way of trying first are the Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz, D*A*M Meathead and even EHX Little Big Muff. If the good old run of the mill Big Muff is really what I should be after, who makes a sweet clone that comes in a smaller package?

I've had a Fuzz Head (not fuzzy enough), Barge Concepts BB-jr( cool but the Roland BeeBaa not really what I'm after), and never really could dig the Fuzz Factory.

So...???

• Members

wow, that sounds sweet!

Thanks...its one hell of a pedal, if I do say so myself...extremely versatile...but it takes a bit of playing with to get the most out of it. Its not a "plug in and play" type fuzz...you have to be willing to spend a bit of time learning how the knobs interact.

• Members

what about your own Magnolia Fuzz?

I love it...it will do some wall of fuzz type stuff as well as Octafuzz...but probably not as versatile as you need. It does the Pumpkins thing "pretty well", but IMO there are better fuzzes for that. All that being said, it does a great MBV tone, lots of good "biker theme" sounds, "scrambler" sounds, etc...the sound clips on my site should give an idea of the "range".

• Members

I'm kinda diggin the Magnolia!

I'll be building another tomorrow or Tuesday.

If you decide to go that way, let me know what colors you want the enclosure to be.

As PBone mentioned, look into the Peppermint Fuzz too..I havent personally heard it, but Ive heard great things about it.

Archived