Looking for a compressor that won't colour my sound too much

Mr Songwriter

• Members

OK, I've just bought a Deluxe Reverb amp, and much as I love it, I'm finding it a little bit too 'touch-sensitive' when I'm playing chords and the like. I've got a Marshall 'Edward the compressor' pedal which can make my playing sound more even, but it colours the sound a bit too much for my liking. Does anyone have any recommendations for a compressor that isn't too pricey?

• Members

so is the SYB-3

But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be
inhabited? . . . Are we or they Lords of the
World? . . . And how are all things made for man?--

"When I say "Eyes front," you must
look straight ahead. When I say "Left turn," you must face
towards your left hand. When I say "Right turn," you must
face towards your right hand. When I say "About turn," you
must face right round towards your back."

• Members

What's the Orange Squeeze like? I've never owned a compressor before (never saw the need in the past) but I';m thinking I could make use of one these days. I want simple and cheap, and I can build an orange Squeeze up easy enough.

Good choice?

The Orange Squeeze circuit is a heavily compressed sound. Very particular. You need something closer to a ross style comp if you want transparency. I have used and would recommend:

Keeley Comp

Analogman CompROSSor

Maxon CP101

Analogman Modded MXR Dynacomp

These, of course, are more on the expensive side. I did use a Boss CS-2 for many years before I got into boutique stuff. That worked out great for a long time. Just make sure to get a CS-2 and NOT a CS-3. Big difference.

Archived