Powered Pa speakers that can handle the moog low end.

• Members

Hey guys. Im looking at getting either a mackie srm 450 12" active speaker or Jbl eon G2 15" for my live rig and thought some of you may have experience with or been able to compare these 2 speakers. Most reports say the mackie tho smaller has a better defined and more hifi sound and still gives out enough low end.

Anyone have first hand experience of these speakers? If so which do you prefer and do you think the Mackies in particular could handle moog voyager bass?

• Members

So, I've performed in many venues over the years. We have rented PA systems and I fianally bought my own gear. One night I blew up both of my single 18" subwoofers using an amplifier "appropriately" rated. In discussions with Electro Voice, we determined that my power amplifier was under sized for the job. You never want the amplifier to clip. Clipping power amplifiers overheat the subwoofer and results in death of the speaker.

My current system has two dual 18" enclosures with a 3400W power amp driving them in parallel (bridged mode).

I need massive subs because I respect the kick drum. The great news is that my synths have awesome bass also.

However, I like to have a real bass player in the band. I believe in never stepping on the bass player. A synth can easily exceed the bass players note range and make him sound wimpy. I always have found that using the DI interface from the bass guitar into the PA results is awesome bass guitar sounds that stand up to the kick drum. It is essential to provide a limiter on the bass guitar so that he can't overload my subs.

So, when I play alone, I use my left hand for bass parts. When I play with a bass player, my left hand plays chords and my right hand plays chords/melody parts.

Mark

• Members

Well i auditioned both the mackies and the tapco thump 15a today.

The mackies were good and clear but its got to be a 15 for bass.They lacked that real raw low end that im looking for.

The tapcos farted and clipped too soon when tried with a voyager.The mackies handled it better but still totally lacked that real punch in the low end department.

So for now im sticking with my heavy poweramp and 15 + horn cab. I can deal with the extra weight knowing its the best system ive tried...

thanks for all the insights so far..

• Members

I've recently been gassing for Turbosounds. If you have never heard of them, they used to supply the quadraphonic PA for Pink Floyd.

Try this stack:

375901.jpg

Turbosound TXD-15

375903.jpg

Turbosound TXD-118

Give each cab about 600W RMS (I like QSC amps), and stand back!

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Well i auditioned both the mackies and the tapco thump 15a today.

The mackies were good and clear but its got to be a 15 for bass.They lacked that real raw low end that im looking for.

The tapcos farted and clipped too soon when tried with a voyager.The mackies handled it better but still totally lacked that real punch in the low end department.

That's about the first useful post I've read here in months or maybe years.

It's been a while since you posted this, did you do any more test drives to handle the low synth notes ?

Do you think the Tapco could handle the job strictly as a personal monitor wedge for my synth ?

• Members

I use a HK Audio LUCAS 600 PA (2 little sats and a 15" bass box) and it handles the moog sounds real nicely...

We fed a didgeridoo through it recently and the bass response was tickling my leg in a real weird way.... very odd... never had that before...

• Members

Try softening the attack on your bass patch a tiny bit - it might actually give you more deep low end punch than the usual adding sub-sines and hard attack which tends to be horriblly energy inefficient (which makes the amps and speakers suffer) compared to the same perceived volume levels at those frequencies generated from an accoustic kick or electric bass.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

So it's been some time, what are you using now Dan? Tried the Eon G2 15's yet? I was wondering if you were just using one or going in stereo, and using a sub mixer for your keys? Also from watching some of the JD73 videos I can't tell what you're using for the Rhodes live?

On another note, MEMORYMOOG Video? Sorry, I keep harrasing you about that, I understand you're busy with the album :) Can't wait for the new album to drop, keep up the good work.

• Members

Both these speakers, and anything else you might consider of this type, start to severely roll off at 50-60 Hz. If you really want to get down to 40 Hz (approximately a low E) or lower with any authority you need an 18" sub.

The big issue is whether you're going to be allowed to go down there in a live band. I'd talk this one over with your bass player and soundman. They usually don't want the keys messing up their beautiful mix by playing in the lower registers.

If you are the bass player on that Moog of yours that's another story.

• Members

Hey guys. Im looking at getting either a mackie srm 450 12" active speaker or Jbl eon G2 15" for my live rig and thought some of you may have experience with or been able to compare these 2 speakers. Most reports say the mackie tho smaller has a better defined and more hifi sound and still gives out enough low end.

Anyone have first hand experience of these speakers? If so which do you prefer and do you think the Mackies in particular could handle moog voyager bass?

I'm a little confused, are the speakers you mention FOH or your own on-stage personal set?

• Members

JBL Eons would be my choice. Mackies are too sterile and fatigueing sounding to me. Another excellent choice imo would be pair of Eden Nemesis 1x15 bass combos with their comp tweeter. Lightweight combos, greaqt musical hifi sound. Add extension 1x15 eden nemesis cabs to em for a killer yet lightweight for easy transport, 4x15 rig with qaulity tweeters. Or 4 jbl eons for similiar air movement large rig.

• Members

I'm not sold on the "must be 15" thing. I have heard a little Acoustic Image combo keep up with a full bass amp stack with no problems.

My Electro-Voice SXA-360 can handle any bass you throw through it, and it's not a particularly big powered speaker.

• Members

Well, im still using an old concert systems 15 cab with tweeter plus a studiomaster 700d power amp and it kicks!! Most gigs i just go through a 15 monitor and that does the job. Its very rare that i actually need to take my own monitoring to a gig these days. Im still considering upgrading to an all in one solution-the HK stuff does sound great, not heard mackies or jbls yet...

Archived