Yamaha MU Modules as mixers?

• Members

Does anyone use a Yamaha MU module as a live mixer?

I played a solo job on July 4th and experienced an issue. It may have been cause by a MIDI controller message. Most of the time, when I loaded a new sequence, the volume & FX settings on the MU90 returned to 000. Then I would have to go through the punch the buttons routine on the front panel.

It didn't happen on every song. But it happened most of the time.

Is there an adjustment on the MU module that stops the device from

resetting every time?

The culprit may have been MIDI reset all controllers messages in my sequences. But the mixer function of the MU is not MIDI. I don't know why a MIDI message would affect the mic & line inputs.

The MU 90 is connected via a MIDI cable from an MU-100.

MU-100 THRU ---> IN MU-90

Roland Synth plugged in Input #2. Microphone plugged in Input #1

• Members

It has been many years, but in the past I did lots of work with Yamaha MU modules. I only did MIDI sequencing, and didn't use the audio inputs. However...

Are you using MIDI sequences that you created? As I recall, many XG sequences begin with an "XG reset" sysex command. I think I used to put these into my XG compositions.

If my aged memory serves me correctly, just about any parameter on the MU modules can be controlled with a sysex message. At any point while editing on the front panel, you can "double click" the Enter button and the module will show you the hex data for that particular parameter setting which can then be used in a sysex command in the sequence. Perhaps these can be used for the audio/mic input settings as well.

Sorry I don't have more info, but if you're using XG sequences created by someone else my guess is that there's a reset command in there.

• Members

Thanks.

These are mostly sequences created by me.

But I'll start with a drum loop created by someone else

most of the time on any sequence.

I went into the Event Editor. I see a few "Reset All Controllers" messages

in there. Even in my sequences I see 'em. But I didn't specifically put them there. They are not on all channels.

I still don't understand why a MIDI reset message would cause the input volume to reset. It's not MIDI.

Archived