Any reason to choose Timefactor over SMMw/H

RoboPimp

• Members

it's not that I don't like the timefactor, I have never used it, I'm sure it sounds excellent, but I'm trying to find out what exactly does it do different than the SMMH? The SMMH sounds really good and has some very nifty tricks and features.

• Members

I'm in the same boat. The Timefactor is expensive, even more so being this side of the ATlantic but the Youtube clips I've seen sound fabulous.

Personally I'd go Timefactor. Like I told someone else on the forum today, I've had several EHX pedals (Hog, Clone, various Muffs, Holy Stain) and never kept them. They have the insant wow factor and then they tail off for me. They're great for one sound and that's that.

I'd also go for the reverse delay on the Timefactor. Nice nice nice.

• Members
it's not that I don't like the timefactor, I have never used it, I'm sure it sounds excellent, but I'm trying to find out what exactly does it do different than the SMMH? The SMMH sounds really good and has some very nifty tricks and features.

It is awesome....

I can't speak for the timefactor, But the SMMH is all around a pretty solid delay. All of it's modes are highly useable, there's next to no learning curve, and it has idiot-proof presets. Add in the fact that it sounds great and can do just about any type of delay possible, and it just makes it even better. :idk:

I'm curious as well...what makes the timefactor worth $300 more?

• Members

Eventide delay has a sound all of its own and I personally like it more than any other delay I've heard by a long way. I haven't use the Timefactor yet but if it captures the rack delay sound, then I'd definitely pay double the price of the SMMH for it if I was in the market for a stompbox delay.

You can get any number of digital delays that do fantastic exact repeats, and you can get a number of analog delays that give you a great analog tone. But I'm not a fan of analog delay because it loses too much definition for me and gets muddy and unclear, but the Eventide is something in between which I find perfect. The delay repeats are coloured, but not in a way that makes them unclear, just in a really great sounding way that I've found impossible to reproduce with other delay devices by EQing or adding other subtle effects to the repeats. It just has "that" sound for me.

• Members

I'm in the same boat. The Timefactor is expensive, even more so being this side of the ATlantic but the Youtube clips I've seen sound fabulous.

Personally I'd go Timefactor. Like I told someone else on the forum today, I've had several EHX pedals (Hog, Clone, various Muffs, Holy Stain) and never kept them. They have the insant wow factor and then they tail off for me. They're great for one sound and that's that.

I'd also go for the reverse delay on the Timefactor. Nice nice nice.

The SMM/h has a lot of sounds in it and is definitely more than a one trick pony. It can do reverse delay as well.

That being said, the Timefactor seems to have a few more tricks in its bag. I'd say if money were no object, start with the Timefactor and decide whether you think its worth the extra coin. If 400 is hard to swallow, pick up the SMM/h and you'll probably be very happy. I don't really feel like I'll ever need more delay than what I've got right now and the EHX pedal topped it off.

Archived