What does a rotary speaker effect do?

• Members

Just wondering, what does the leslie speaker cabinet effect do. I'm not talking about the physical part of it, I know how it works. But what kind of effect is it. It sounds similar to a lot of other effects (tremolo, vibrato, phaser, etc.). Just wondering is it the same effect as other effects pedals?

Thanks

• Members

Just wondering, what does the leslie speaker cabinet effect do. I'm not talking about the physical part of it, I know how it works. But what kind of effect is it. It sounds similar to a lot of other effects (tremolo, vibrato, phaser, etc.). Just wondering is it the same effect as other effects pedals?

Thanks

'tremolo, vibrato, phaser' a bit of all that mixed together I guess....the loud/quiet of a trem, the (slight) pitch modulation of a vibrato..all mixed with a bit of phaser type swooshiness.

• Members

the doppler effect.....you know how when a train passes, the pitch of the whistle seems to bend, but the whistle actually doesn't change at all?....someone had the idea to recreate that effect with a speaker and a motor...Its a combination of amplitude,pitch,phase, and stereo modulation..I guess the phasing part really depends on what kind of room you have it in(reflections off of walls we cause the phasing).....examples of leslies can obviously be found on some of hendrix's work (not to be confused with univibes, a sort of leslie simulation in pedal form) old pink floyd, mainly their organ sounds(which was what leslies were designed for orginaly), some led zep songs even had Plant singing through them! To sum it up, its more of a pitch modulation than anything else, but then again its alot more.

• Members

A leslie relies on the doppler effect, so a simulator will have to do a combination of pitch vibrato and tremolo, with a touch of phaser thrown in. A real serious sim will also treat the highs and lows differently (in the real thing, the horn and woofer rotate in different directions, and during speed changes also at different speeds).

So while it is a combination of different fx that are available separately (which is why some chorus pedals will do a good leslie impersonation, as will some phasers), to get it right you need to have the right combination. And then there's the speed changes - impersonating a fast leslie is not too hard, but getting the in-between sounds right is a different thing altogether...

/Andreas

• Members

Thanks a lot everyone.

I listened to a few effects but couldn't really make out what other effects it's like. I just was curious if I would ever use something like it (I was interested in getting a slow warble sound) but I'll also be getting all the effects that kind of "make up" the leslie effect (phaser, tremolo, vibrato). I think I will pass though if I can get it done with all the other effects. Thanks again.

Archived