A6 Question

• Members

The 16 voice outputs are fixed to their voice (x). While the master volume has no effect on these, the FX doesn't either. There have been folks who use the voice outputs with a 16 channel mixer because they sound better than the mix outputs.

In MIX mode, you can assign each layer to mix or voice outputs. You can also assign a monophonic patch to voice (x), which is real handy with drum patches so you can apply separate processing. Handy for bass patches too.

• Members

A6 = ASICS = Application Specific Integrated Circuit. It is a pun on the custom chips Alesis developed for the Andromeda.

While the pun exists, that's not where the name came from.

When I worked at Alesis, everything had a two digit code. For example, Q8 was the internal code for QS series, 88 key. A6 stood for Analog synth, 61 key. The A6/ASIC thing was just serendipitous.

We kept A6 in addition to the Andromeda name I came up with because A6 was what we called it all along, and the engineers got used to it...so, in the spirit of the Jupiter 8 (which says both JP8 and Jupiter 8 on the front panel), we decided to let both names stay.

FWIW, A16 was one of the names suggested for it, but we all thought it looked and sounded a bit goofy (didn't roll off the toungue as nicely as A6), and that people would misread it and call it AI-6.

The naming of Andromeda actually took a very long time and was a pretty bloody battle. Long story.

dB

• Members

ok since the thread is "A6 Question", can i kind of hijack please?

Is there a 'fade-in' parameter, for the delay with the LFO?

The easiest way is to use an envelope as the mod source with the lfo level as the destination. The envelope has a delay time and the fade-in can be set with the attack time.

I imagine you could rig something together using the tracking generator too, and setting it to affect the level of the lfo mod, after the delay is over.

If you're using it live and can take a hand off the keys, you can always set up a delay, and then bring the amount in with the mod wheel too. You really don't need a delay doing it that way either.

With the A6, there's almost always a way. :thu:

• Members

I would pay good money for a rack version of the A6. Too bad Numark canned any further development. Maybe it would have been called the RA6.

I believe it's internal code was going to be AR. We made all kinds of jokes about Andi's Rack.

Did you ever see the rendering they did of it? It was gorgeous. Five rack spaces, angled back panel with removable ears so you could use it as a desktop, and pretty much all of the controls - the only compromise was that instead of discrete controls for each envelope, we had one set of controls with a toggle for VCO/VCF/VCA. Same with the filter and osc sections - one set of controls and a toggle to choose which filter/osc you were working on.

Would've been cool, for sure. :cool:

dB

• Members

Yes. And each voice has its own LFO, so the fade-in is per voice
:thu:

Well, there's a 'delay' parameter that you can set to determine how long it'll take for the lfo to kick in, but to get a 'fade-in' (with or without a delay), you're gonna have to use a workaround.

Without a fade-in, you just get a delay, and then - bam - the lfo is on full blast (however full you have it set).

• Members

Did you ever see the rendering they did of it? It was gorgeous. Five rack spaces, angled back panel with removable ears so you could use it as a desktop, and pretty much all of the controls....

:cool:

dB

Pics please. :D

• Members

I actually just sent an email to see if I could get a copy of the rendering, and if it'd be okay to post it.

No promises, but I am trying.

dB

:thu:

I'd like to make a large framed copy of it for the 'Wall of What Should have Been'.

:confused:

Archived