Daisy chaining EHX POG issues...

willhaven

• Members

So, I'm racking my pedals and I take stock of which effects use which types of supplies. I look at the POG supply and it says 18VDC with center being positive (reverse polarity). I put the 18VDC pedals on the same tray so I could daisy chain them from my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ supply, I make the cable, hook it up and nothing. :(

The other 2 pedals down the chain are working (UniVibe and an MXR 10 band EQ), the POG is not.

I think "well, either the circuit grounds out the positive or I fucked up the cable somehow." I plug the POG in with the supply it comes with and it works. Hmm... so I measure the 18VDC power supply that comes with the POG and it's putting out fucking 26VDC. :mad:

What the fuck?!

I guess the POG is a 24VDC effect? If so, that really pisses me off because I had already made my 24VDC cable for my Mirco Synth. The only upside is that they're right next to each other and I can daisy from the Micro Synth power cable if needed... but motherfucker if it isn't annoying to spend 3 hours making 2 cables and have the supply that comes with the pedal not tell you what it's really doing.

Any thoughts? Is the POG 24VDC? Just looking for some verification to make sure I'm not crazy.

• Members

the supply could appear to be a higher voltage under no load,

did u test it with the pedal plugged in and turned on, thats the only way to get a true idea of the voltage?

This is correct.

To test it, but a guitar cable into the input halfway (far enough for it to be "grabbed" by the stereo jack, but not far enough to pass signal into it) and measure the voltage between the tip and sleeve of the other end of the cable.

But if it's labeled 18v, it's most likely 18v.

You said that it needs a reverse polarity power cable, are you sure you're using one? Sorry, but I have to ask, as these are the little problems that drive people up the wall for hours, when it could just be a simple solution like this.

• Members

I made the cable myself and measured it with the multimeter. The plug for the POG is reverse polarity and the other two are regular polarity. And yes, I used the correct size plugs as well. A regular size plug won't fit into the POG DC input anyway. Only the slightly larger type will fit.

I measured the VDC on the POG with the + in the middle and - on the sleeve and get a positive 18VDC reading. With the - in the middle and + on the sleeve of the other two plugs I get positive 18VDC. So, yeah, the POG plug is set up for inverse polarity properly.

Maybe the POG is just a pedal that draws a ton of mA? I should just try plugging into the higher power 5 and 6 mA taps to see if that fixes it. It's possible that with the other two pedals in the chain, there isn't enough left to get the POG running.

I'm just really perplexed as to why the POG supply would read as 26VDC. All of the other supplies I tested were within 1-2 VDC of their stated rating before I attempted to plug them in. This supply having 8 more volts is just... :freak:

I'd make the cable, hook it up to the Pedal Power unit, measure it for voltage and polarity, measure the original wall wart to make sure they read the same and that the polarity is right for sure, then I plug it in and make sure it works.

• Members

Maybe the POG is just a pedal that draws a ton of mA? I should just try plugging into the higher power 5 and 6 mA taps to see if that fixes it. It's possible that with the other two pedals in the chain, there isn't enough left to get the POG running.

I don't know the exact current draw of the POG, but the supplied adapter is 18vDC, 500mA. Two outputs in series on the PP2+ will give 18 volts DC, 100mA, which seems to be enough for the Univibe and EQ pedal. But adding the POG probably puts the total load way above the 100mA limit. Migrating to outputs 5-6 will give you 18vDC, 200mA, which may or may not be enough. If all else fails, just use the supplied adapter. If you're building a rack, having one extra adapter in the back shouldn't be that big a problem.

/Andreas

• Members

I emailed EHX tech support and they said that the POG draws well over 200mA, so I'll try on the higher current taps tonight to see if it springs to life.

Still irked about the POG measuring 26VDC however. :o I even plugged in other supplies, tested them, and re-tested the pog supply and it reads 26VDC.

Twilight Zone shit right there.

• Members

If the POG itself uses "well over" 200mA, it probably won't work even from outputs 5-6 in series (not to mention the added current draw of the other two pedals).

The POG supply will probably measure closer to 18vDC when it's under load (when powering the POG). Unloaded, all power supplies will measure a little above its designated voltage. Granted, most regulated supplies will only rise a volt or two, but still - unless you can measure the voltage at the adapter jack of the POG, when it is powered up and running, the reading you got will probably be of little use.

/Andreas

• Members

If the POG itself uses "well over" 200mA, it probably won't work even from outputs 5-6 in series (not to mention the added current draw of the other two pedals).

The POG supply will probably measure closer to 18vDC when it's under load (when powering the POG). Unloaded, all power supplies will measure a little above its designated voltage. Granted, most regulated supplies will only rise a volt or two, but still - unless you can measure the voltage at the adapter jack of the POG, when it is powered up and running, the reading you got will probably be of little use.

/Andreas

FWIW, I plugged the 18V cable I made into the high current taps and the POG lights up at least. I wasn't able to test it because my rig and cabling is all apart, but I would assume it works.

Before that, I turned it on while plugged into the low current taps and the POG power light flickered and the MXR 10 band only had the first and last slider lit up. :D

So, yeah, it definitely seemed to be a current issue. Hopefully it'll actually work when I test it. Probably tomorrow. I spent most of tonight re-routing and re-bundling A/C cables. I had a Korg tuner on top and my Furman below that. The Furman was a lot deeper so it made a nice shelf to put my bundled cables on. Now I got a Peterson Stroborack and it's nearly as deep so I had to cut a million cable ties and re-think my cable layout. :(

Oh well, it's a lot cleaner the second time through.

I also received my Foxx Tone Machine this week. I was hoping it was going to fit on a specific shelf so I daisy chained my battery snap adapter onto one cable. It won't fit so now I have to snip it and make yet another 9V cable and plumb it to another drawer. :(

Building a rack involves a lot of foresight and a lot of re-doing your work to get it right. I haven't even started routing my patch cables yet. I'm strictly working on power solutions before I get into effect order. Gah...

Archived