OT: External Hard Drive Recommendations?

• Members

Hey Guys :wave:

I need to buy an external hard drive for my MacBook. I need less than 80GB. It doesn't have to be portable, but can be. Have any of you shopped recently for one? If so, can you recommend anything that doesn't require any additional accessories or bull{censored} to make it work? Any preferred brand? Any preferred store to buy from? Who has the best customer service and support? What should I expect to pay for something decent?

Thanks!

• Members

this is the one i bought recently but the older version and i use a macbook

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11013

it works really well. You want more than 80gig, trust me on this. You may think 80 is a lot but it's not. The way time machine works is that it copies over and over again until your hardrive is used up and it will start to erase the older files. 80 gig is nothing.

• Members
Thanks for recs, guys. Those Lacies look slick. The reason for

Typically, it is worth your while to get the most hard drive space for you money as possible, even if you don't need it immediately. :wave:

• Members

I don't know if this will help. I had a Lacie 250 Gb just fail on me last week-end. As luck would have it, we had friends visiting us and one of them is an IT expert. We opened up the Lacie, looked at all the parts and he proposed that I try some things before I go to a data recovery expert. The thing that struck him is that the HD component was a Western Digital which was built, almost day for day, three years ago. Those Western Digitals have a warranty of three years. He told me that it's not the first time he's seen that.

Archived