Good dirt + other pedals for a Fender Rhodes?

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I had used emulations and sample-sets of Rhodes sounds all my life (Mr Ray, LoungeLizard, Scarbee Rhodes, Kontakt sets, iLectric, ..) After trading my Korg SV-1 for a Roland RD-64, I realized all I was really looking for was an original Rhodes piano.

My current setup: (not always in this order)

1973 Mark I Rhodes Stage -> EHX Bad Stone phaser -> VHT Melo-Verb -> Plush Valve Job -> NUX Time Core -> Crate Acoustic 125D amplifier.

Occasionally run thru an Excelsior amp, but only at lower volumes.. This amp tends to really crunch the sound.

Bad Stone- pleasant sweep range & manual mode (but a bad switch 'Pop' without 1K resister mod)

Melo-Verb- excellent reverb and tremolo

Valve Job- gives that dirty tube grit on demand with Touch and Drive knobs for just the right sound

Time Core- inexpensive 6-option delay & looper, best I've had so far

Crate 125D- a solid amp with plenty of sound, 3 inputs, built-in EQ & basic effects. I run everything thru this and out via the DI on the back.

Anyone looking to get nice grit out of a solid-state amp or PA system = the Plush Valve Job tube driver is by far the best I have used. Hook one before your tube amp for extra thickness!

Archived