$1600 For Mint P250 - Should I Hesitate?

mcoates04

• Members

I would consider myself an advanced keyboardist, being blessed with quite a collection of keyboards (mint Wurly 200A, great B3, good Rhodes Suitcase 88)....

the only thing is, I don't have a great piano sound to gig with. Weight isn't much of an issue, but I don't want to be hasty and careless with my money. I have the opportunity to pick up a Yamaha P250 (played only three times by an obviously wealthy hobbyist).....

my question for any fellow musicians - should I go ahead with this purchase? is it worth it? will i have any regrets? I mainly play piano sounds in my gigs, and am thinking about eventually adding a Nord Electro Rack unit to control via MIDI for my organ and EP sounds.

Basically, I just want to know if this sounds/feels good enough to spend 1600 on for virtually just the piano sound and to use as a controller for a MIDI rack....

• Members

I would probably beat him up on price. When the P250 was the current offering, you could buy it new for under $2000.00. I vaguely remember reading there were a few MIDI oddities with the P250, but I didn't pay close attention to what they were. Apparently the CP300 is an improvement in both sound and MIDI. You might want to check out the specs and price on that.

Either of these KB's are pretty heavy. If you're planning on moving either one, I hope you have roadies or a strong back. Other than that, great AXE.

Mike T.

• Members

thanks guys, i didn't know there were any bugs to be aware of concerning the MIDI capabilities of the board.

also, I've read alot about the p200 as well, so I was thinking about that as well. the only reason i was really considering this board was that it was pretty much mint, and the p200 has many reviews where the keys were sticking or breaking.

i had done my share of research of other going rates for the 250, guess i had overestimated a good price. thanks for the input...

• Members

i feel like a moron when it comes to this area of keyboards. i know alot about vintage wurlys, rhodes, clavs and hammonds...but when it comes to electronic i usually just play whatever is there.

before hearing jon mclaughlin (upcoming artist) play his p250 and being blown away, i had really only thought about a Nord Electro (despite the ridiculously high price). then i realized I'd be more inclined to get a board with an amazing piano sound rather than the organ and EP's.

so i didn't intend for this to turn into a recommendation thread, but if so, i'm all ears....or eyes....haha....

• Members

Chuck Levall, the most sought after touring keyboardist in the world, plays a P250.

Also consider the P120 as a smaller sibling to the 250 and the S90(ES) if you want other tones but no built-in speakers. The P-series has a very nice Rhodes. The S-series also has Rhodes, but also Wurlies, some usable organs, and a nice assortment synth leads, basses, and pads.

• Members

The S90Es actually might be a better value. There is a newer piano sample with half damper capability, and the MOTIF ES sound set. The ES sound set is "probably" better than the factory sounds in the P250. More editing capability too. That said, more processing power was devoted to the piano sound on the P250 because it is a digital piano first. Though the S90ES is worth consideration.

Mike T.

• Members

The S90ES has a different action than the P250 or CP300... the S90ES has "balanced action" where the P and CP are "graded hammer action", the latter of which is more like a real piano's action. Personally I'm not a fan of the S90ES sound or action despite it's popularity but it's good if you need lots of sounds from one instrument. If you're a pianist at heart and already have other sound sources then you really want to try a P or CP. I bought a CP300 and I really like it... bought it new for $2k. Also, those built-in speakers on the P and CP not only come in handy for practice and stage monitoring but they put some real vibration into the keys which makes the piano feel more like a real piano... something the S90ES can't do. The CP300 is also the best master MIDI controller I've found to date. Just my 3 cents worth.

• Members

so if i'm planning on using it for MIDI as well, I should wait and get a CP300?

He just said that it comes with a sustain and stand and offered to take a $1500, and keep in mind I believe it is nearly unused. I rarely see used CP300's for sale....any input?

• Members

Keep in mind that for just a little more than $1600 you could score a used S-90ES.

For your purposes a P250 for $1100 or so would be a good deal.

Actually, used S90ES' are going for a few hundred LESS than $1600.

I've been keeping my eye on a couple of used ones. Bye bye, Motif.

• Members

so if i'm planning on using it for MIDI as well, I should wait and get a CP300?

He just said that it comes with a sustain and stand and offered to take a $1500, and keep in mind I believe it is nearly unused. I rarely see used CP300's for sale....any input?

The decision is yours to make. But since you are asking, if it is me, unless the price of a recently discontinued keyboard is around half what a current model sells for, I buy the current one.

I've never regretted this philosophy. In this particular case, I really think that the piano in the CP-300 is a noticeable improvement over the 250 anyway. It's multisample break points are much less obvious.

There are sometimes bargains from anxious sellers that I can't resist. This isn't one.

• Members

If you really want a used instrument and your money's tight then I think you oughta snap on that one... $1100 ain't bad for an excellent-condition P250.

A CP300 will cost you $2k but it's worth every penny. It's a no-regrets instrument that'll last you for many years to come and it's a very real improvement over the P250. It took me a while to decide but once I realized I wouldn't be happy with anything but the best then there was no alternative. The only thing that would stop me from getting the CP300 would be money, in which case a well-cared-for P250 would be my second choice.

• Members

man, you guys are killing me! i am the type of person that, if you tell me the cp-300 is worth the money, that money is the only issue, than that means i can't keep looking at these 250's for half the price! haha....ughhh.....

• Members

i'm tired of double-posting myself, but i was just wondering if you had any suggestions as to the best place to buy a Cp-300. I know all the major music stores carry them, I just wondered if you had a favorite place or somewhere that might have the best price. I saw some refurbs on musiciansfriend for like 1800, but I'm not too keen on that route...

Archived