Boss GT-6

joex

• Members

My main problem with the GT6 and other multifx processors is the fact that patches and effects don't add to one another. Like if you have a delay and a distortion box, you can choose to run one, the other or both pretty much at will, right? You can add individual elements to your sound with stompboxes, which I think helps tone sound coherent. When I had a GT6, I'd always end up setting up a JC120 patch right next to a Mesa wannabe - fun, maybe, but it makes zero sense musically. That, and multifx often don't sound that great; there are some good ones out there, but they're easy to set up poorly.

On the upside, multifx are handy as hell. Less board to carry - hell, you don't even need an amp if you can set up a decent amp sim patch. That, and they're a lot more versatile for a lot less money. I'm thinking of getting a GT6 again, just because it's fun to try out new stuff without breaking the bank.

• Members

I love my GT-6. The sounds aren't the greatest in the world, but in a live context it's very hard to notice any comparable difference. I use it with a cover band gig I do every 6 months or so, and it does everything I need to do well.

The only thing I am not liking with it since aquiring other pedals is that it's hard to route with other effects. If I want to run a boost with a Rat in front of the GT-6, the boost colours the Rat too much. If I put it after the GT-6 and throw on a delay, the delay will be all distorted from the Rat, etc etc.

I know there are options for this in the pedal, but if you want to use the boost your external loop for other effects is rendered useless. I sold my board I had when I was younger to get a GT-6 and I've been happy with it for many years (up until recently when I started hanging around here more.. :p)

Oh, to add as well, I absolutely hate most of the stuff on it. EZ Tone is horrible, amp sims are garbage, and half of the effects on there are pure gimmick. But the stuff I do use is great.

• Members

You loose all the flexibilty of having a bazillion stomp boxes. You can't create insane effect chain setups because the signal chaine is structured very rigidly. Unlike a bunch of stomp boxes which can be wired in any way your heart desires. Oh, how I do love creating insane effect chains wired up in parallel.

• Members

You loose all the flexibilty of having a bazillion stomp boxes. You can't create insane effect chain setups because the signal chaine is structured very rigidly. Unlike a bunch of stomp boxes which can be wired in any way your heart desires. Oh, how I do love creating insane effect chains wired up in parallel.

I guess you haven't used anything from the Boss GT series or the Axe-FX? In the GT-3,5,6 & 8 you can change the order of your effects to any order you choose. In the GT-10 and the Axe-FX, you can not only change the order but you can run them in series or parallel.

Archived