Where do YOU place your buffered pedals?

• Members

All the pedals I'm using at the moment are true bypass so I use the SCP first in line as a buffer so that it is effectively always connected to the guitars pickups to maintain a consistent load. Works great for me.

• Members
This is the basic configuration that should work for anyone:

Guitar ---> Buffer ---> Any pedals ---> Buffer ---> Amp

The first buffer is providing an interface for the guitar and its long cable to the pedalboard. The final buffer is a line driver for the cable back to the amp. In between, you can put any pedals you like.

regards, Jack

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I wasn't sure about the purpose of putting a buffer last in line, but that makes total sense. :thu:

• Members

I run 15 pedals and I really don't put much thought into it anymore. If it sounds bad then I change it up as best I can. Trust your ears not the theory.

That said I have found through online advice and my own experience that a GOOD buffered pedal last in line works best, namely my TU-2. I had my PH-1r last for a while but that buffer was weak and made my tone suffer. Since I moved the TU-2 last everything sounds good.

Ideally, like Jack (AMZ-FX) said, guitar-buffer-other pedals-buffer-amp is the best way to go. My fuzz sounds worse with a buffer before it so my theory is keep all TB pedals before the fuzz and then a buffered right after it. Thise are the only two rules I follow with my chain; no buffer before my fuzz and good buffer (TU-2) at the end.

• Members

usually i think about leaving the buffer in front as much as possible. The only time i would deviate from this is why a dirt pedal expects a low impedance signal and instead it sees a buffer... the sound just gets messed up in a bad way.

I think since you seem to have a lot of buffered stages, then probably it won't matter too much. You can easily use looper switching to shorten the signal distance of your cables too.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

As for placing the fuzz first in line, that definitely makes sense too, as I have heard that fuzz pedals work best when they are first in the chain. Good stuff. Thanks.

True on the fuzz point (as well stated by DonaldDemon), namely when it comes to Fuzz Face-type vintage circuits. Even more picky however, are treble boosters, which should absolutely never be preceded by a buffer. Both of the above have serious tonal problems due to the difference in impedance (after following passive pickups) when a buffered pedal/active pickups come before them.

• Members

I don't really think about it, but I do use my ears to hear what sounds the best order and i'm not scared to make the order 'unconventional' if it sounds better to me.

+1.

I've said this before and I'll say it again but I think that sometimes people worry too much about buffers and true bypass and the like. If it sounds good then it is good!

Archived