Please compare/contrast the...

• Members

Marshall ShredMaster and Pro Co Rat w/ keeley mod.

I have a Keeley Rat, but am kind of interested in a shredmaster clone (OLC) or shredmaster. Would it be more of the same or would it be worth the $$$ to get the SM? THe Rat's NOT leaving the board. Its one of my favorite pedals.

TIA.

• Members

Ok i have a regular big box'd rat w/ lm308 and a shredmaster (stock)

I prefer the shredmaster.

The shredmaster:

Tight gain, good low end, good mids. Think marshall jcm800 type gains. but not as thick and boomy. Great pedal for pushing your already distorted signal just a little bit more and putting it on your bridge pup and just spankin some nasties.

But it does tend to have a lot of feedback in it system, so playing tight metal stuff isn't good. Feedback inbetween note changes will be common.

RAT

I find the rat muddy fizzy and doesn't cut through in my band setting. Though slightly similar to the shredmaster. When i say fizzy i mean it adds in that fuzzy type tone very similar to a fuzz pedal.

I have both and will not sell either. I like them both very much. And pending on the situation i see them both being important pedals for that situation.

Where as i love my shredmaster into my ac30 and hate the rat. The rat into a fender twin rv sounds completely different and better than the SM IMO.

• Members

Ok i have a regular big box'd rat w/ lm308 and a shredmaster (stock)

I prefer the shredmaster.

The shredmaster:

does tend to have a lot of feedback in it system, so Feedback inbetween note changes will be common.

Where as i love my shredmaster into my ac30 and hate the rat. The rat into a fender twin rv sounds completely different and better than the SM IMO.

I play through an AC30, as well, so this info is great. I also play a moddified sheraton II, so i, no stranger to feedback. Looks like I may have to buy the damn thing and find out for myself.

• Members

my 86 small box rat is nxt to perfect through my ac30.

unlike the later reissuses the originals arent as muddy, fuzzy and i feel it cuts through very well.

but i cant say i have ever played a shredmaster through it.

• Members

my 86 small box rat is nxt to perfect through my ac30.

unlike the later reissuses the originals arent as muddy, fuzzy and i feel it cuts through very well.

but i cant say i have ever played a shredmaster through it.

When i said that it doesn't cut through. I strickly meant in my situation in my band. The way my singer has his rectoverb set up, and when i play its like i'm just not visible. his tone is so massive with its dirt that it would just completely over power me nad not let me cut through. and if i messed with the filter to bring it out as the rat shining through. It just got unpleasant.

either situation would be great.

Both get uber hyped on this board. I own both. And i'm a gear whore. SO i say get both. Start out with the cheaper option though if your going on that path. Rat is a great pedal.

Archived