The Korg R3 SUPER THREAD!

jfwong

• Members

That's right! This baby's 128 programmable banks = sweet sounds for all.

If anyone else owns this fine piece of hardware (seeya later MicroKorg, you had your time), post up your favorite custom made sound / settings. I'll be throwing up some of my favorite vocoder ones when I have time to write down specific settings.

Yeehaw, gotta get that Daft Punk sound.

• Members

Woops, yeah that's what I meant. I know what you mean, and I wish all the preloaded presets weren't as.... techno-y?

Btw the video that you got your user picture from is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen on the internet... and I've seen a lot of stuff. Haha, good times.

• Members

The R3 is nice :) An attractive and neat-sounding bit of kit. I still wish it was bigger though. The newer ultra portable tiny keyboard fiddly-knob kinda style doesn't appeal to me for gigging. If it was the exact same thing with 61 keys (or at least 49... come on, make an effort) and the whole unit was just meatier, then it would get 10/10 :)

What would make it perfect in my eyes is to ram it into an O1/W sort of chassis. Metal, heavy, bombproof... so you could rock the living {censored} out of it at a gig and not have to worry about it. Could have more display/knob bits too with all the extra room.

• Members

The R3 is nice :)If it was the exact same thing with 61 keys (or at least 49... come on, make an effort) and the whole unit was just meatier, then it would get 10/10
:)

Well, it is the same engine as the Radias. Thats got more knobs and a larger keybed. For "meat", you could just run the thing through a nice tube-based DI:

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/di99.html

BIGstdi.jpg

:love:;)

• Members

Is there anyone here who has the R3 as well as the Radius? I've played on a Radius quite a bit and it's really easy to use, so I'm wondering if everything on the Radius can be done on the R3 without the PC editor.

I'm just hoping that a lot of the features don't get buried into the software, as what happened when I moved from my Roland MC-505 to the MC-808. I don't mind menu diving, I just hate dealing with an external computer to access basic editing parameters.

I only had a five minute run with the R3 when it arrived, but it wasn't a display unit and got sold. I was just lucky and caught an employee testing it out. Editing the presets seemed easy, but I couldn't figure out how to switch oscillators and start from scratch.

• Members

I own one, it's my top board of my triple deck live rig (Kurz piano, Electro, R3) and the size is why I got it, it's purpose is for synth sounds so a few octaves is plenty and for gigging who needs to lug around another board, smaller is better- as long as the keys are full size! which they are, and good ones too.

I'm not a big fan of all the techno stuff so 90% of what it can do is useless to me, but what I do like is enough for me to have it, the ARP stuff is my favorite so far, you can tweak the sounds to just make weird noises all day and that's what I'm into.

• Members

so I'm wondering if everything on the Radius can be done on the R3 without the PC editor.

R3: two timbres (elements), 8 voices, DWGS waves only, no drumkit structure, no Step Sequencer, 1 Mod Sequencer

Radias: 4 timbres (elements), 24 voices, PCM samples, plus drumkits, 1 Step Sequencer, 3 Mod Sequencers

So nope, they're not the same.

• Members

Yes, the RADIAS is a superset of the R3, and conversely the R3 is a subset of the RADIAS :) But that means they're different.

When I first heard about the R3, I was set on buying it, but once I realized the difference my interested waned. It's not to knock it - it's probably still a great synth on it's own - but I'd need to spend more time playing it at the store to see if it's enough of a RADIAS for me :)

But my money's waiting for a minty Virus KC, so I'll probably not buy the R3. Once I slimmed down to my Oasys and MMV (and all my guitar {censored}), I told myself "no more synths!" but I'm making allowances for one more VA - that is until I move from my townhouse to a bigger home with more space. :thu:

• Members

Anyone heard anything about how well its selling yet? One has finally turned up in this market and its 250 some bucks more than the Microkorg, and is in the same price range as the MicroX. Conversely you do kind of have to wonder how much of the market it will strip from the Radias which although it has more features is considerably more expensive. The full size keys likely mean there will be less resistance from some buyers vs. the situtation with the Microkorg and MS2000.

• Members

R3: two timbres (elements), 8 voices, DWGS waves only, no drumkit structure, no Step Sequencer, 1 Mod Sequencer

Radias: 4 timbres (elements), 24 voices, PCM samples, plus drumkits, 1 Step Sequencer, 3 Mod Sequencers

So nope, they're not the same.

I already read into those limitation, which doesn't bug me at all since I don't actually own a Radius. My main concern is whether or not everything that is carried over from the Radius is easily accessible from the synth and not buried within the PC editor.

After getting the MC-808, I pretty much cringe anytime I see that a synth comes with editing software because it gives the designers a chance to cut corners and programming costs on the hardware.

• Members

I just got an R3 a couple of days ago, so I thought I'd bump this ole thread just to tell you guys how I feel about it...

It's damn small. The gooseneck feels a little loose, definetly not too sturdy. Build quality in general seems alright, but this thing is still 99% plastic. The vocoder is superb. In general, it sure doesn't sound very analogue. I'd describe it as digital, polished and modern (whatever the hell all that means). I'm really starting to like the way it sounds, even though I'm a whore for real analogue. I don't thing you'd need an editor software to program it. I haven't even opened the manual, the interface is pretty damn sweet for just a few knobs. The pitch and mod wheels are small, but feel alright, keyboard is... well, it definetly isn't bad.

I needed a portable subtractive synth for gigs and jams and also considered the Alesis Micron. I'm happy I went with the R3, because of the sound character (The R3 doesn't feel like a virtual analogue to me, it's just a subtractive digital synthesizer), amazing vocoder, relatively easy interface and traditionally placed pitch and mod wheels.

- CM

P.S. Did I mention that the vocoder is ah-mazing?

Archived