Michael Schenker Cover

TheGareth

• Members
I recorded a cover of the Too Hot To Handle solo -
have a listen
and let me know what you think! Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you do this from TAB or by EAR? The reason I ask is because you have notes that don't arrive at pitch on your bends,and notes that fall flat..Maybe a tuning or intonation problem. But you should be able to hear these things and correct them..Keep working at it.:thu: Remember the saying"Practice makes Perfect?" Not True. Perfect Practice makes Perfect..And No I am not perfect:p

• Members

Thanks for the input guys, I guess that some of the bends are a little flat come to think of it. I should work on that more.

Revontulet - I honestly appreciate your comments but I feel that the phrasing is OK. I took this solo from the Strangers In The Night Version. Where do you think the phrasing needs attention?

• Members

My mistake; upon a second listen I believe what I thought was phrasing issues was just a slight timing difference between the backing track and the lead? Just doesn't sound to me like you hit some of the notes on time. I think the first 20 secs are the most noticeable...

I don't mean to be harsh; just trying to help I guess. :)

• Members

My mistake; upon a second listen I believe what I thought was phrasing issues was just a slight timing difference between the backing track and the lead? Just doesn't sound to me like you hit some of the notes on time. I think the first 20 secs are the most noticeable...

I don't mean to be harsh; just trying to help I guess.
:)

Yeah I know you're not being harsh and I do appreciate your input. I will try to re-record with better tuning on the bends and have a look at the timing too.

Actually, I think that some of the chord strums are a little off the beat when I listen back to it, but I honestly don't feel the lead guitar is out of time. However, I will keep this in mind and try to work on it to improve my playing. :thu:

I just recorded this. Please have a listen and tell me if you think my timing is off on that one :)

• Members

That blues jam is great; it's got a real groove to it; and I get the feeling you're got a great idea of how much to play something. Not overplayed at all; less is more; but you weren't to sparse and there wasn't sign of repetition.

Good job!

• Members
That blues jam is great; it's got a real groove to it; and I get the feeling you're got a great idea of how much to play something. Not overplayed at all; less is more; but you weren't to sparse and there wasn't sign of repetition.

Good job!

Thanks man, appreciated. I'm just paranoid about being in time and stuff. :)

• Members
The reason I ask is because you have notes that don't arrive at pitch on your bends,and notes that fall flat..Maybe a tuning or intonation problem. But you should be able to hear these things and correct them..Keep working at it.
:thu:
Remember the saying"Practice makes Perfect?" Not True. Perfect Practice makes Perfect..And No I am not perfect:p

I hear the same thing w/ the intonation but it's slight. Also, vibrato needs some improvement, little bit stiff. Overall though, you're very close :thu:

• Members

I love Michael Schenker, he is one of the greatest guitarists ever IMO. Rock Bottom is an awesome track and the solo is very difficult to play. I saw Michael in Belfast earlier this year and hearing him playing Rock Bottom live was quite an experience.

You should check out his new album In The Midst of Beauty - it's a return to form for him for definite! My favourite track on it is This Time, which is typical Schenker - very melodic and has a great pentatonic guitar solo!

• Members
I love Michael Schenker, he is one of the greatest guitarists ever IMO. Rock Bottom is an awesome track and the solo is very difficult to play. I saw Michael in Belfast earlier this year and hearing him playing Rock Bottom live was quite an experience.

You should check out his new album In The Midst of Beauty - it's a return to form for him for definite! My favourite track on it is This Time, which is typical Schenker - very melodic and has a great pentatonic guitar solo!

Cool, I'll definitely check it out :thu: Michael was so far ahead of the curve in the 70's it was ridiculous- there really wasn't anyone else in his league (in that genre at least) from a technical standpoint including Blackmore and dare I say, Gary Moore who I also love. I can't think of anyone else who exploits the pentatonic to the degree that Michael does, but somehow it never seems to get stale w/ him.

• Members
I love Gary barden when he does the MSG but on the the UFO stuff Phil Mogg ownes him.

and to the OP , dont feel bad schenker is a god , so dont fret not copping him on first try , even vinnie moore doesnt touch him IMHO

I don't think that I could ever cop Michael's playing. :):cool:

• Members
Yup, Michael is one of the best European guitarists even I think. I think he sounds so good because most of his solos are composed, rather than just blazing improvisation. My favourite from his UFO days would have to be Out On The Street, I've never heard anyone else play something like that ever. It's the epitome of perfect note choice and great phrasing.

Yeah man, thank you!

I don't think that I could ever cop Michael's playing.
:):cool:

Schenker and Gary Moore are two of my favorites thrown in John Sykes .

Yeah:thu:

• Members
Schenker and Gary Moore are two of my favorites thrown in John Sykes .

Yeah:thu:

Good choices.

Here's a video of Out In The Street played live -

[YOUTUBE]Z4zEffBdj2E[/YOUTUBE]

3.22 = :love: That first note he plays just sits there perfectly.

• Members
and to the OP , dont feel bad schenker is a god , so dont fret not copping him on first try , even vinnie moore doesnt touch him IMHO

You're right- Vinnie doesn't touch him, but I think he's done an admirable job filling Michael's shoes (as well as anyone possibly could) which is documented in the dvd release few years ago...

Archived