Halp! Recommend a tube boost?

• Members

Okay, here's my issue.

I own a Laney VH100R. I play it with the "drive" knob pushing my gain into high gain/modern territory. Sounds great! But when I pop over to my neck pickup for leads, it sounds great but it stays the same volume.

Obviously, the best idea would be a tube screamer or EQ pedal right?? Well, I try a few of them, and they sound gross. I just can't get a tone I like. It gets close, but it sounds processed, so I'm not a fan.

I've thrown a VHT Valvulator 1 in the loop, and it sounds pretty awesome, kind of like a little extra oomph, but not enough to be a useful, truly transparent, tube boost, plus I can't turn it on and off/bypass.

Okay, so here's what I want to do, I want to put a boost in my loop, but I want it to be tube, transparent and smooth like the Valvulator, but with a decibel boost and possibly a simple EQ, like three bands or somthing. And I have to be able to bypass remotely with a footswitch.

Simply put, I want to be able to switch off my "drive" on the VH100R, and put this tube boost in the loop as a different, slightly hotter TRUE gain stage so I can carve out a different tone that isn't just a bunch of chips in a box on a board.

Am I asking too much?? Is this even possible? I've asked about Valvulator mods, but is there anything out there like my dream tool I've described??

Help a dude out, It'd be a huge bonus!

Love,

Curtis

• Members

Hmm. You first say you want your neck pickup to be louder so my first thought was get a different neck pup. But that'd be no fun. I don't know anything about your amp, but my friend had a DSL2000 and he ran a GE-7 in the loop for leads and it sounded amazing. But then another guy in his band tried it and it sounded like arse. Something to do w/ Parellel FX loop vs. Series FX loop. Maybe that's what's going on w/ yours.

I've never heard of a boost in the loop so I'll be curious to hear what you end up with. What about a comp like the Black Finger?

Archived