Good Pedals For Keyboard

james71

• Members

i used to own some nicer boutique effects, but after gigging for a while a settled on boss cause they're small, cheap, and can take a beating. and if you play in a loud band with 3 other members you're not going to hear the nuances the nicer pedals provide anyway, IMHO.

if this is for a home studio then you can ignore what i just said... but for gigging i like:

boss RV-3 - reverb: very easy to get huge washed out atmospheric qualities from it.

boss DD-20 - delay: 5 presets, BPM meter, tap tempo, and you can get cool syncopated rhythms with a push of a button.

• Members

GT8. I'm a guitar player also, and I do have a bunch of analog stuff but for keys i tend to stick with my GT8 as it's got a great preamp section built into it that emulates all sorts of amps. It's sturdy, reliable, has a 5 year warranty and has never failed me EVER. Boss stuff is THE most reliable, you can probably say the same for most roland equipment seeing as how they are one and the same.

I would recommend getting separate pedals for leslie control if you have a leslie emulator to keep things simple. Of course you could use the GT8's Leslie, i do have some recollection of it having one, but you might question it's quality.

Cheers!

• Members

The best pedal delay I found (and it's STEREO in and out!):

LINE 6 ECHO PARK... very warm (much much better tape/analog delay emulation than on the recent TC NOVA Delay for example...) and great space possibilities.. Plus i love the two step pedal where tap tempo is permanently active.

And if you have a mono synth before, a great thing in between is the TC SCF stereo chorus...awesome!

V

• Members

Any of the Alesis ModFx boxes are great for keyboards. They are discontinued, so you need to look for them on the used market.

Most of them have a tap tempo feature, which is way cool. I own the philtre, am considering getting one or two more.

• Members

Pedals I've found effective:

MXR/Dunlop Phase 100 - Very clear with a good range of sounds

Boss FT-2 - Nice filter with one negative, the attack is a bit too slow

Maxon AF9 - Excellent, better on keyboards (part. clav) than on guitar

Boss OD-3 - Good overdrive with a full range response

Dunlop Rotovibe - Good range of sounds and the vibrato (not Univibe!) sound can be fun if used judiciously

Dunlop 105Q wah - Good full range sound if you don't max out the Q

Boss RV-2 - I use this on Hammond to get a good reverb with a touch of delay into a solid state Leslie

Ibanez DL10 delay - Surprisingly analog-sounding

Arion SCH-1 & SFC-1 - Can get Leslie-like at faster speeds, SFC-1 is better/less subtle at slower speeds

There's a range of old analog delays that sound good and won't break the bank, including Arion SAD-1, Aria ADL-1 and Loco Box AD-1 (the last two are pretty rare but worth getting if you see them)

These are more expensive but great:

Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe - Heaven!

Korg G4 - Best Leslie I've tried

Boss DM-2 & DM-3 - different from each other but well worth the hefty price they're going for on Ebay. Don't forget the DM-100, which is a desk top unit and tends to go for less than its compact cousins.

I've also got a Boss RE-20 on loan at the moment and I'm loving it...

Some that didn't work for me:

Ibanez AD9 - The original - just not enough headroom for keyboards

Boss PH-1r - Same problem as the AD9 (both get muddy)

• Members

I would actually avoid those. Bad quality builds. Try to find the older, russian versions if you can. Great stuff.

Buy from analogman - he will make sure it is a good one, and you get the vol boost mod straightaways! :thu: I sure wouldn't say mine was a bad quality build at all - quite good in fact.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Buy from analogman - he will make sure it is a good one, and you get the vol boost mod straightaways!
:thu:
I sure wouldn't say mine was a bad quality build at all - quite good in fact.

cheers,

Ian

Of course, Analogman and keeley make some amazing stuff. I tend to stick with Analogman for any sort of modulation though.

• Members

For a real do-all pedal, I like the Roger Linn Adrenalinn ][. It features beat-synched fx, plus input for midi clock. The only thing it really lacks is reverb.

Holy crow, just hit the site and sure enough, there's an Adrenalinn ]|[ that includes Reverb. Edit: And an upgrade kit = w00t!!

Archived