fade to black?

iggy23

• Members

What's with all the Metallica questions on the FX forums? Bring back teh Radiohead threads!

Seriously, I'm pretty sure it's chorus, and I also remember reading somewhere that, in the studio, they almost always use a solid state Roland amp for all clean sounds.

• Members

isn't it just nylon guitars and the octaves are doubled by kirk? there might be a tad bit of chorus, but to me it always just sounded like mostly clean acoustics.

edit: definitely not nylon, but there is some reverb. actually, on second thought, almost sounds like 12 string acoustic

• Members

i read somewhere Metallica isnt even a good band.

i'm sure there are plenty fellas in this forum that cut their teeth on metallica riffs early on...must be good enough to sell a couple million records i guess...:poke:

• Members

i'm sure there are plenty fellas in this forum that cut their teeth on metallica riffs early on...must be good enough to sell a couple million records i guess...:poke:

I certainly did. I was in my early teens when Ride the Lightening came out, by my mid teens i'd picked up guitar and the intro to Fade to Black was one of the first things i tried to learn.

Metallica were amazing back then, first saw them live at Donnington festival in 1987 ... fantastic stuff.

I'm not a metaller anymore but Ride the Lightening & Master of Puppets still stand up as amazing albums ... they've never matched them since.

• Members
hi

what kind of fx is hetfield using for this song,is it a chorus ????
:confused:

On the original, James Hetfield used an acoustic guitar, possibly a 12 string. He might have run a chorus effect on it in post-processing.

During the mid-1980s he had a rackmounted multi-effects box, and since 1987 he's used a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo for chorused clean tones. During the 1990s he used the amp head version and blended it with either Mesa/Boogie Studio preamp (set dry, no chorus) or a Mesa/Boogie TriAxis preamp for clean tones. In the studio he uses the combo, but he has used it live during 1988, 1989, and even some parts of 2003(?)

He does have a Boss CH-1 chorus pedal as well.

Archived