what do you need to add a clean mix knob to a pedal?

hangwire

• Members

If you're splitting your signal in order to incorporate a clean blend (one half to effect, one half to clean), you're probably going to have to add amplifier / bring-up stage(s) for at least the clean signal, but possibly the effect signal as well. I'm just guessing based on one scenario though, it's hard to say without more info about your setup and what pedal you're talking about.

• Members

Just a mix knob? Probably I would need to be at gunpoint ;) .

Depends on the pedal. With a distortion, the circuit above might uncontrollably regenerate, and probably would hear just a little dist at the clean end (not bad though). A buffer in the clean path after the split would fix the former, and a lower impedance input buffer would fix the latter. On some pedals, if you can find the output of the input buffer/amp stage, if any, and the effect output is low impedance, can do just a pot if you squeeze it between the existing capacitors, although one might help reduce crackle. If the pedal has no gain, and you always drive it with a low impedance, you might be able to go to a simple pot between input and output.

Just did another Muff, this one again more complex, although I don't know why I didn't just do it simply. Clean tone control added and phase reverse option on mix, 2 knobs. Hi impedance input buffer, getting serious about the clean there. Requires a seperate circuit board -- I'm considering making some of these boards for use in various pedals.

Archived