Just got my Prophet 08 - WOW!

King Julian

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

TBH - buying from germany is not really any different to buying in the UK - no import hassles, no extra duty, shipping cost aint much different, at worst adds an extra day, sometimes not - Ive had next day from germany and sweden before.

i'll 2nd that... i've had some very good dealings with mainland europe...

good find on the modular square website... E1770 =

• Members

Hmmmm......so if Dave can do all that for $2000, why can't anyone else?
:(

Alesis pretty much did. Andromeda is double the voices for less than double the price. :idea:

As has been mentioned before, we had an 8 voice Andromeda planned - IIRC, it's target price was $1999.

dB

• Members

Alesis pretty much did. Andromeda is double the voices for less than double the price.

True, but like many Alesis products, it's plagued with some problems.

I do hope this new Prophet sells well, and we see more products like it.

• Members

True, but like many Alesis products, it's plagued with some problems.

Plagued with problems?

As I understand it, they had a bad run of them over the last year or so that had some hardware issues. AFAIK, the older ones work pretty well....mine sure does. :cool:

dB

• Members

My experience:

Micron-> No controls broken off
Ion-> No phantom edits
A6-> No tuning instability
Fusion-> OS unfinished = yes, still has bugs = none in the functions I use

I hate to see the A6 get a bad rep for one bad production run. I'd be curious how many units in that run had tuning problems as a percentage of the overall number of units produced.
I think it would be a very small number indeed. Although I feel bad for people who recieved a bad unit, I also hate to see internet hysteria damage a products reputation.

I did get a very early Ion model that had the phantom edit thing, but Alesis did an admirable job of handling the problem, and my current Ion has no problems.

I've seen some pretty beat up Microns. Probably people think they're small and built well, so they can toss them around at will. Not so. Almost anything will break if abused.

Fusion - although I really like my unit, I'd rather not 'go there'. :confused:

• Members

My experience:

Micron-> No controls broken off

Ion-> No phantom edits

A6-> No tuning instability

Fusion-> OS unfinished = yes, still has bugs = none in the functions I use

I hate to see the A6 get a bad rep for one bad production run. I'd be curious how many units in that run had tuning problems as a percentage of the overall number of units produced.

I think it would be a very small number indeed. Although I feel bad for people who recieved a bad unit, I also hate to see internet hysteria damage a products reputation.

I did get a very early Ion model that had the phantom edit thing, but Alesis did an admirable job of handling the problem, and my current Ion has no problems.

I've seen some pretty beat up Microns. Probably people think they're small and built well, so they can toss them around at will. Not so. Almost anything will break if abused.

Fusion - although I really like my unit, I'd rather not 'go there'.
:confused:

Well, my only personal experience with these things is the Fusion. There has clearly been an extra quality problem in the last few years. BUT, I can remember many other examples over the years. The buttons on the HR drum machines that quit working. The disastrous mixer with the pot elements screened onto the pcbs that caused massive failure.

Alesis has always been about innovative products, brought to market at a good price by thinking outside the box when manufacturing. This has been a hit or miss proposition IMO.

Now, with their bankruptcy, takeover by Numark, and subsequent loss of most of the engineering team - I don't have the confidence that I can buy future Alesis products and be able to count on them to function reliably.

I have NO doubts about the reliability of any products from Dave Smith.

• Members

I hear ya.

I'm kind of curious how the whole Alesis/Numark deal happened. Alesis seemed to always have a pretty broad product line and I can't remember any specific problem piece that could have had such disastrous results.

Anyways - back to DSI, where this thread started. I like the way he's currently doing business, and I mostly like the stuff he puts out. They have only a few small things I'd like to see added.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Prophet '08.

Guest Anonymous
The disastrous mixer with the pot elements screened onto the pcbs that caused massive failure.

I remember this pig. Monolithic.

:rolleyes:

alesis1622lb3.jpg

The Quadrasynth/QS series were pretty dependable.

BOS. I have a Poly rack and really want the kb version. The Prophet '08 is interesting but, there is a lot of interesting stuff out right now. It's hard to decide what to get.

:confused:

• Members
I remember this pig. Monolithic.

:rolleyes:

alesis1622lb3.jpg

:eek:

I was working at E.U Wurlitzer in Boston when that thing came out. We made endless fun of it - it only weighed around 14 pounds, so we used to toss it around the Pro Audio room in the Boston store. We called it the "audio frisbee" - it was about the only thing it was good for...too light to be a doorstop... :D

Definitely not Alesis' best product. ;)

dB

Archived