Put These Pedals In Order For Me

• Members

I currently have 6 pedals, with 2 more on order and plans to acquire a delay pedal. Here is what I have, listed alphabetically. Tell me what order you'd put them in and why.

Boss DS-1 (distortion)

delay pedal TBD

Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff (fuzz)

Electro-Harmonix Micro Q-Tron (autowah, on order)

Electro-Harmonix Small Clone (chorus, on order)

Electro-Harmonix Stereo Pulsar (tremolo)

Guyatone ST-2 (compressor)

Ibanez TS-9 (overdrive)

Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe (vibe)

• Members

I currently have 6 pedals, with 2 more on order and plans to acquire a delay pedal. Here is what I have, listed alphabetically. Tell me what order you'd put them in and why.

Boss DS-1 (distortion)

delay pedal TBD

Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff (fuzz)

Electro-Harmonix Micro Q-Tron (autowah, on order)

Electro-Harmonix Small Clone (chorus, on order)

Electro-Harmonix Stereo Pulsar (tremolo)

Guyatone ST-2 (compressor)

Ibanez TS-9 (overdrive)

Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe (vibe)

comp >> autowah >> fuzz >> vibe >> OD >> distortion >> chorus >> tremolo >> delay

• Members

Someone said in another thread that putting the compressor right after the autowah makes sense to smooth out the volume change caused by the wah's filter closing.

Yes, that's why I always put it after. THe AW-3 can get shrill at the treble, I'm going to get an EXP pedal for it.

• Members

An envelope filter requires the dynamics of the player to open/close the filter.

That is correct. It detects your initial attack when hitting a new note, and opens up the filter. Then as your note decays, it gradually closes the filter. The natural decay of the note of course lowers the volume, but the simultaneous closing of the filter makes it seem even softer by removing the upper harmonics. I think this phenomenon is why a lot of people say their wah pedals (autowah or regular) introduce a volume drop. In theory, a compressor could help smooth out the perceived volume drop.

Archived