Anyone tried a Seymour Duncan distortion pedal?

• Members

Hey guys, i'm new at Harmony Central so hey to everyone

I'm just looking at distortion pedals, and i've had my eye on the ProCo Rat 2 for a while because the demos on YouTube show it has plenty of gain, and can handle the Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Bullet For My Valentine stuff i want out of it.

But i also looked at the Seymour Duncan distortion pedals, specifically the Power Grid one. Its supposedly the all out, balls to the walls distortion and the demo i saw showed it could get a decent Metallica sound, even on single coils.

However, there are limited reviews of the Power Grid and i wanted to know if anyone here had any experience of it, or, if anyone has tried the other SD distortions and thought it could handle high gain music.

Any help is much appreciated :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the Twin-Tube Classic SFX-03 but it is no longer stock.

I didn't like the hard (loud) click of the momentary switches so I replaced both of them with new soft-click momentaries that I got from someone on eBay. Then I removed C32 (220pF) which choked off all of the harmonics right at the input jack. I guess it was supposed to keep the pedal less susceptable to local radio stations and such, but heck 200pF right on the input snuffs all of the life out of your signal. GONE. Then I removed C12 (1.0nF) which shunted the treble to ground right at the grid of the last tube stage. Now it sounds like a real tube amp. I thought about messing with the notch filter that follows the tone circuit, but left it alone as it only creates a deep notch at 8.5K which only takes out all of the fizz. It still has probably too much bass response, but without any recovery to restore the bass... I don't want to reduce it in the front of the chain. Overall, I am very happy with my SFX-03. The rhythm channel can sound like a Fender amp right at the edge of breakup or more something like a Mesa Boogie cranked but fat. I don't really like that channel cranked too much ... I keep mine at about 1:00 o'clock maximum. The lead channel now sounds like an old Marshall stack. Fat, tight, responsive and really digs in well on pinch harmonics with a humbucker pickup.

I don't recommend these changes to anyone else, but they worked wonders for me. The pedal is not as difficult to modify as one that is built with surface mount components... but it does have small standard components on a double-sided board. Be very careful with the soldering or you will fry something. I melted a corner off one of the relays (but it still works fine).

• Members

I have ProCo Rat its pretty sweet. I got it for dirt cheap also. Anyway. The lava box is really solid. This is off topic but for heavy stuff. The krank pedals are really nice for that style. They make 2 I want to say. Really good gain amps. The pedals aren't too costly.

Archived