Your inspiration?

• Members

Gene Pokorny, Sam Pilafian, Patrick Sheridan on the tuba. Douglas Yeo on trombone, and Brian Bowman on euphonium. I wish that I had the time to practice more to get that good. I spend way too much time playing the trumpet and clarinet with my beginning band students and the wrecks havoc on my low brass embouchere(sp?).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Behind everything, there is Miles.

Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays. Their music has a huge influence on all aspects of my playing and writing. In turn, Pat's guitar synth work is completely influenced by horn players. He approaches that instrument far differently than traditional guitars.

• Members

My favorite trumpet players are;

Clifford Brown - melodicism and technique in one great package.

Woody Shaw - How does he do that? What the heck is he doing?

If you guys haven't checked it yet, go to www.pandora.com and search your favorite player. It's a good way to check them out and other similar players too.

Brad

• Members

Originally posted by soundministries

Just came from a Patrick Sheridan recital and all I can say is wow. This guy does things with a tuba that I never thought were possible. If you want some inspiration go see your favorite guys in concert. Go see anybody in concert.

I've played with Pat. I'm still blown away years later!:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

I've played with Pat. I'm still blown away years later!
:eek:

You suck;) . I was hoping to get a lesson with him but we were at a two day HS honor band and the schedule was simply packed and there wasn't time. He did a solo recital Friday night and then played with the sponsoring college on Saturday afternoon. Simply amazing.

• Members

as far as trumpet players go, all the masters get props from me, especially Brown, Navarro and vintage Lee Morgan (w/Coltrane Blue Train & Art Blakey Jazz Messengers).

The 'player's player' guys who I enjoy and also get inspiration from are people like Howard McGhee and Booker Little.

Don Cherry deserves more credit than is generally given to him; Ornette was very fortunate to have such an inspirational player along side him.

Most inspirational tenor man for me is Joe Henderson among the many I admire. Eric Dolphy is my biggest influence, however when it comes to sax, flute and clarinet.

Archived