Breaking the Millenium Mark

• Members

I don't like bringing this up but enough already...guys we're gonna have to do a better job contributing to this forum. It's a minor milestone and you would have thought the mil mark would have been realized months ago...please people...let's get this thing moving!

• Members

Sorry, it's been a few days...

Look, we can ALL start some good threads but what good are they if no one answers back in acknowledgement to good posts?

For example, I felt that I had some good info to add to the Selmer Super Action 80 thread...I'm a sax player...I know these things...I want to share what I know but, if it falls on the figurative 'deaf ears', what's the point of contributing?

Originally posted by sunburstbasser

I'll start some threads later today that might help get the ball rolling.

• Members

Originally posted by Lambros

Why haven't you acknowledged my post on the Super Action 80 thread?

Because you know what you're talking about. I'm a trumpet guy, a little other brass, but I'm not much help on woodwinds. So I figured if the original poster responded with more questions, you'd be better qualified to answer them.

No offense meant.:)

• Members

thanks man, no offense taken, just wanted to keep the thread alive and well...take care...

Because you know what you're talking about. I'm a trumpet guy, a little other brass, but I'm not much help on woodwinds. So I figured if the original poster responded with more questions, you'd be better qualified to answer them.

No offense meant.
:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

post 1001...it's now official...

modest as it, play a fanfare to celebrate!!

I've been busy with my saxes lately and got a like-new sugal Super Lieb I (this time gold plated brass) for the new soprano.

Sections off my old Sugal Lieb wood mouthpiece came apart and it couldn't be saved... :(

The Selmer C* is actually quite a nice mouthpiece albiet a bit too closed for me.

Couldn't resist this great deal on ebay for a Sugal that goes for $399 new...:eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200055327866

• Members

that sounds like interesting music. I like 19th>20th century stuff, Debussy, Ravel, the late Romantic composers merging into the modern school (Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Mahler, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Gershwin, Hindenmith, etc) I'll look into Ewazen one of these days. As far as modern composition for sax and othe woodwinds, I need to get more into that myself. I like Anthony Braxton a lot where it concerns jazz.

Stravinsky is always chock full of surprises and revelations for me as far as modern woodwind compostion and technique goes.

• Members

That's a good assessment of Debussy. I consider him to be the fountainhead of modern music as far as stretching the boundaries of tonal and intervalic relationships in composition and playing for that matter. He claimed that the basic inspiration to try different approaches came from Wagner and I can understand that to a degree. I think Berlioz affected him deeply too. The first extensive use of major 7th forms and more obviously the 2 whole tone scales in all of their degrees is entirely Debussy.

Debussy is my favorite classical composer!
I really like that stuff thats post-Romantic but still tonal.

• Members

Well, if you're into post romantics and winds, you couldn't do better than Max Reger. He wrote three clarinet sonatas and a clarinet quintet, all sublime. One of my desert island discs is his Orchestral Serenade op. 95. I would also recommend Franz Schmidt, who wrote some lovely chamber music for winds as well as four great symphonies.

Bryan

• Members

Thanks for the recommendation, I didn't know that Reger wrote sonata pieces for clarinet.

I'm familiar with the Hiller Variations, op. 100, and of course his incredible take on the passacaglia form in his Chorale. Schmidt intrigues me; kind of like Richard Strauss with some of Reger's conservative approach. I need to get more into his work...

Originally posted by Pilot

Well, if you're into post romantics and winds, you couldn't do better than Max Reger. He wrote three clarinet sonatas and a clarinet quintet, all sublime. One of my desert island discs is his Orchestral Serenade op. 95. I would also recommend Franz Schmidt, who wrote some lovely chamber music for winds as well as four great symphonies.

Bryan

• Members

thanks for your vote of confidence...I guess it remains to be seen whether or not this forum stands a chance if and when more people tune in. As is, there is very little genuine warmth and altruistic spirit here...that's the way I see it.

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I trust you guys.

This forum will take off one day.

Archived