EHX Micro POG vs. FoxRox Octron...

bt2513

• Members

I have had the Octron for a while and really like it. I have not tried the M-POG but i assume it is a different beast all together. I know they both do up and down octaves, but the tone of the Octron is delightfully "vintage" octave efx and the M-POG seems a lot more modern and cleaned up for chord playing, etc.

I use the octron to acheive a very synth-like lead tone that defies logic for a string instrument. Very good tones. I hope someone can respond about the POG for you, but I really enjoy the Octron and it will hang with the loud ass group I play in.

• Members

I have a micro pog and I haven't noticed any tracking issues (except when the lower octave is approaching inaudible when used with bass....). If you want to do chords, then the micro pog (or one of its bigger brothers) is what you are looking for. You are going to get some artifacts if you use an octron or other analog octave pedal for chords.

• Members

I have the Octron I and the POG

the Octron is analog, the POG is digital

hence, the Octron sounds warmer, the POG can sound very processed and artificial

both are totally different effects

the Octron is a dirt pedal, octave up/down and it can handle chords when set dirty, no glitches, tracks well, can create a nice feedback if necessary

the POG is a polyharmonic octaver, with 2octaves up or down, it can sound dirty, but the distortion sounds very sterile and very noisy, effect tracks very well

• Members

the Octron is a dirt pedal, octave up/down and it can handle chords when set dirty, no glitches, tracks well, can create a nice feedback if necessary

that's the first time I've heard someone say the octron can handle chords! Clips?!?!

• Members

I've had Octron 1 & 2, also had a big POG and currently own a Micro Pog, yeah, I'm a slut.

Biggest difference between Octron and wee Pog is the ability to handle chords. Octron's lower octave will glitch and freak out when you play more than one note, which can be used, but isn't musical to me. Pog on the other hand can handle any chords and doesn't freak out.

Some pros and cons...

Octron Pros

Cleanish octave up, or an excellent Octavia style Hendrix type octave up.

Huge, fat & warm octave down.

Internal tone and gain trim pots.

Minimal (zero) latency.

Excellent tracking.

True Bypass, takes batteries, runs at reasonable mA levels and is capable of taking -9-30 odd volts from a psu.

Can boost direct volume.

Octaves sound great individually and blended.

Designed and backed up by one of the best guys in the business.

Wee Pog Pros

Ability to handle any chords.

You get the idea?

Excellent tracking.

Blend the octaves just right and it's Ray Manzarek in a box.

Octron Cons

Inability to handle chords.

Sound familiar?

Wee Pog Cons

Noticeable latency on the octaves, almost feels like reverb or something.

Buffered bypass, {censored}s with dirt pedals that may follow it in the chain.

Requires -9vdc and 200mA of juice. No batteries.

Synthetic edge to the octave sounds, individually they aren't a patch on the Octron's.

• Members

that's the first time I've heard someone say the octron can handle chords! Clips?!?!

I think he is referring to the upper octave which is basically chord friendly. That is the dirty part of the unit(fuzz) and the clean lower octave has what amounts to the best tracking and and best sounding lower octave that comes by this method. Still the chord ability is kinda shot, but then again it is fat enough that a chord is really overkill once the darn thing is active.It is synth engine for your single note playing.

I know the Micro Pog is a real orchestral type sound(very beautiful and strange), but the tracking and timing issues are a complete disaster for my style. I like to feel I am in control and not the efx.

• Members

How is the Micro POG at Hendrix style octavia sounds?

Forget about it, not remotely possible with the Micro Pog. Even if you stack it with a nice fuzz, it will not approach the ring mod like, harmonic content of the Octavia style upper octave.

• Members

I'm really looking for both.

I love the Hendrix sound but don't particularly care for one-trick-ponies. I'm a bit of a tweaker. However, if I drop the cash on a Micro POG, I would feel like an idiot if I couldn't produce something reasonably close to these tones.

• Members

I suppose it depends on how you define "reasonably close". As mentioned, a pog won't get you a ring mod type sound - which, to me, is as good as it is bad. But seeing as it is an octave pedal, if you were to run it with a fuzz pedal, you would indeed have an octave fuzz. (I do enjoy running the micro pog into a big muff...)

• 2 months later...

Archived