Crossfire effects pedals...any good?

thisISjoel

• Members

Has anyone played/owned any crossfire guitar pedals?

I'm looking into replacing my crappy zoom gfx-4 with individual stompboxes (probably a dist, OD, chorus, delay, vol and possible a phaser and also noise gate if I need it).

This brand sells in ebay for around $50au and would be an affordable choice but I have no knowledge of the brand. I know I definitely don't want to go behringer because I have tried them and they are horribly thin and synthetic sounding but these seem to have a more classic vintage look to them. Perhaps I am being charmed by their phyical prowess but if anyone has any info on the brand or individual pedals I'd love to hear (read) it.

Cheers.

• Members

Not sure what behringers you played, but they are definitly not all like that. Their sound is what some people like the most, being turned off mainly by their build.

I have the Belcat (Crossfire is what they are called in Australia) delay and it isnt great. The bypass is decent but the delay is really darkened, like taking your tone down to 5 or so. It stays on my board because I like the analog sound (not really analog, only analog sounding) when I want darker delay.

The switch is a farse. It looks like a decent one, but its the exact same thing as behringer, plunger pushing a button the PCB.

As for your overdrive, try the Boss SD-1. You can pick it up used for probably just as cheap as the crossfire stuff, but better build.

• Members

Hey,

I agree about the delay. The phaser is HORRIBLE. I was gonna pick one up 'cuz its so cheap, but it's not even worth that. the sweep is weird. Instead of being a constant cycle, it sounds like it stops and then restarts at the peak of the sweep. (if that made sense)

Having said that, I only tried out one phaser, i may have tried a dodgy one.

Behringers arent that bad, I'd prefer it over the Belcat/crossfire. MOEN pedals are not bad, cheap on ebay too.

peace :)

• Members

There are some good cheap pedals out there.

If you don't dig the belcat delay - the behringer VD400 (numbers might be different) is really cool. If you dig the vintage delay. But for the ultimate cheap delay, go for the first act delay pedal. They were at one point pretty popular, and there are a few really cheap, really easy mods to do to it to make it even better. Search out the forums for the mods if you want them. If you can't find them, I can help.

• Members

Owned and just sold the Belcat (=Crossfire=Nevada) chorus. It wasn't bad (especially for what I paid) but I did have some issues:

- Yeah, the switch is just a plunger pressing on a tiny PCB switch...

- The bypass was not great, and when you put it in a TB loop, you find that actually the on and off positions both give a pretty substantial volume boost, so it's not usable in a TB loop.

- The chorus was decent-sounding but not outstanding (Arion SCH-1 is my benchmark chorus sound)

So I've sold it, and bought a used Arion SCH-Z from ishibashi.co.jp. And now I'm in hog heaven. The Arion is light, plastic and toy-like, but can do a reasonable imitation of the SCH-1, and has no volume boost issue. I got the Arion for $60NZ including shipping, so it's well worth a look in your price range.

Steve

Archived