WTF Bike Chain

• Members

I'm trying to take apart this damn bike chain to mount a bunch of pedals, but the 'bike chain dissasembler' isnt doing balls.

There were no instructions, so I assume you take the device, position it over one of the little pegs and screw down until it comes out? Well all its doing is make the link tight and unmovable.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Members

Oh and what kind of screws do you use to put the bike chains onto the board?

Ones that fit through the holes in the chain links, perhaps? Wood screws? Unless the board is metal. Bolts, in that case.

If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough.

• Members

There were no instructions, so I assume you take the device, position it over one of the little pegs and screw down until it comes out? Well all its doing is make the link tight and unmovable.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

you are probably slightly misaligned with the pin and pressing on the plates or mis-seating the pin

esp with cheaper chain tools, it's easy to do (the more expensive ones seat the chain a little better)

if you find it hard to work with the stiff chain you can loosen it by flexing it laterally (side to side if it were on the bike...the way the chain naturally doesn't want to flx)

this may also help you loosen the pin a bit

• Members
Ones that fit through the holes in the chain links, perhaps? Wood screws? Unless the board is metal. Bolts, in that case.

If brute force doesn't work, you're not using enough.

Well yeah, obviously. Didn't know if there was a certain standard or something.

I also see now that there are 1/8in bike chains and 3/32. One has a master link and the other doesnt. I think I have the wrong chain :cry:

• Members

you take the outer link plates and use them as mounting flanges

screw one side of the link to the pedal using the screws/holes designed to munt te backplate on a pedal.

Turn the link so that the other hole in the link is protruding beyond the body of the pedal (so you can see it peeking out fromt he pedal as you look at it from the face) and use that second hole to secure the link to the pedal board

• Members

How exactly do you use a bike chain to mount pedals?

In order to not hijack, even good chain tools are a PITA with hollow pin chains. Is yours hollow?

I'm not sure if its hollow or not. I bought the cheapest chain I could from walmart (first problem?) then the chain breaker next to it (second problem?)

I'm going to have another go at it, but it's really hot and when doing something that doesnt work gets you aggrivated, the hot temperature makes me want to go cliff diving without a rope.

• Members

I'm not sure if its hollow or not. I bought the cheapest chain I could from walmart.

Definitely not hollow if you bought it at WM. If it was you would actually be able to see a hole through the pins fwiw. Try to use some visegrips or the box-end of a wrench to create a little leverage.

Archived