BYOC Mouse

• Members

Yeah...it's a bad-ass pedal. I built one, and did the MO'D mods that "Deaj" posted on the BYOC forum. Not sure about how close to a turbo Rat it gets....but it gets almost spot on to a big box Rat.

Great pedal.

• Members

The six way switch in the BYOC Mouse changes and moves the clipping diodes. Positions 1, 2, & 3 place the diodes towards the end of the signal path. The difference between the turbo rat and the vintage rat are silicon diodes vs. LEDs for clipping devices.

Position 1 - vintage rat

position 2 - turbo rat

position 3 - boutique rat (asymmetrical diode clipping)

Postions 4, 5, & 6 move the clipping to the feedback loop of the op amp, like the clipping in a tube screamer, for more of an overdrive flavor, but with way more balls than a tube screamer.

postion 4 - symmetrical diode clipping overdrive

position 5 - asymmetrical diode clipping overdrive

position 6 - mosfet clipping overdrive

• Members

fortunately, I do not have too many dirt pedals.

I've found my BYOC Fuzz Face, though absolutely awesome in what it does, to be rather limiting. As such, I'm very much considering getting the BYOC Mouse. Can a RAT-type pedal pull of a decent Fuzz Face sound, I wonder? Would there be a YouTube video I could be shown to see the full capabilities of the RAT?

• Members

Hey Foo! Fine Young Fool, that is. Prior to building my first pedal, the only experience I had with soldering was replacing a couple pickups. I was prolly feeling the same way you are right now. There are some great threads on the BYOC forum, I think one is called "Before you start your first build", or something like that. That thread is loaded with great soldering tips and huge, detailed pictures that are super helpful for first timers. Also, when you order your mouse, you can ask for the confidence booster for free. Its a simple compressor without an enclosure and it gives you a practice point for working on your soldering skills without worrying about jacking up a $90 pedal! Every BYOC kit I've built has worked within 1 minute of me plugging them in. Here's my first build:

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

Honestly man, the sense of pride you'll get from playing a great pedal that YOU built is indescribable.

• Members

i built my treble booster

and it's really the only think i have ever soldered and it wasn't that hard

i was pissed when it didn't work at first so i posted a pic on the byoc message board and the next morning one of the mods said i mounted my switch wrong

so i ripped it out and put in the switch that came with my confidence booster

i was rocking in about 30 mins

Archived