I shust Heard mp3 of kursweil 2661 demos Is there any contest ?? well the price

chick korea

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Funny, but I think that the k2600 sounds awfully good, and I think that the synthesis available is quite deep and rather intuitive. I think that scsi is a pain in the ass, but if they come up with an updated version that communicates via firewire or usb, I'm in.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that the K2600 doesn't sound awfully good. These are nice instruments, and it's a lot of fun to process samples through the VAST engine. I just think it's worth pointing out to someone with a serious GAS for the K2661 that this instrument is nothing more than a repackaged version of a six year old synth, and that the $2,995 pricetag is absurd when you can get the EXACT same technology on the used market for about 1/3 the price.

Lots of companies repackage older technology somewhat, but Kurzweil has taken this to a ridiculous extreme. Yes, the Roland Fantom bears some resemblance to the XV5080 which has a similar synth engine to the JV1080 etc., but on the way polyphony was doubled and new waveforms were added. At least with the Roland gear it's debatable whether to buy an older unit used or to pay extra for the latest version. Why should anyone pay $1,500 more for a K2661 than a used K2600?

It's no secret that as a company Kurzweil has barely managed to hang on in recent years. I would love to see what the designers of the K2000 would have come up with if there had been some resources available to do some actual R&D, as opposed to just selling the same product over and over again.

If a softsynth version of the K2600 with CPU dependant sample memory and polyphony is ever released I will buy the first one.

• Members

If you are just playing one channel at a time or doing splits live 24 stereo voices is plenty. Yes, the Kurzweils can make some nice sounds, and I think the $700 used K2500Rs on ebay are a great value, especially if the ROM boards are included. I highly recommend them.

On the other hand, if you would like to do sequences using more than 3 channels the Kurzweil K2 series' polyphony and response time are totally inadequate and pitiful compared to what Roland, Yamaha and Korg are currently offering.

I pretty much agree with this, but I also see the the 26xx keyboard series main strengths as being a highly programmable 'performance' board, and a very competent controller keyboard.

On the other hand, I've heard some pretty polished, completed pieces that were done fully 'in the board'.

• Members

3 months with my K2661

think I will love it in time,sounds great at home in stereo, but a bit boring on stage in mono......

low output, cant compete with my Roland for piano cutting thru mix...

perfect for the one-hand playing "songwriters" on this site......

maybe if it was purple or silver and had 512 polyphony, the one-handers would embrace Kurz....I think they are made for serious players and arrangers, not diddlers

• Members

Since I see so many Kurzweil haters here, I'll quickly add my point of view:

- K2600/2661 may be repackaged technology, but to me, it still sounds better than the competition, so what's the point in being old or new?

- A K26xx series sounds a million times better than a K2000. All my old K2000 programs gained new life when played on the K2600.

- Other than improving the sound quality itself, they added new functions with every new model. KB3, KDFX, Triple Mode, Live Mode.....

- I never thought that Kurzweil was complicated to program per se. If you want to stick to filter and envelopes, which is all most other synths can do anyway, it's one of the simpler instruments around. If you want to dig a bit deeper, you have this endless well of possibilities like shapers, functions... but no one forces you to use them.

- If Chick likes the sound quality of the Kurz, that's the main point to me; I can't see the reason to try changing his mind. The K2661 can be found new for little more than $2000.

And Chick - yes, the K2661 and 2600 series are essentially the same instrument. The only negative I can think of is limited polyphony, as it has been said.

• Members

I have a K2600XS and am completely thrilled with it. No plans to change any time soon.

However, I really sat down at a Motif XS8 today and was completely blown away. The Tritons and Fantoms can't touch the Kurz or Motifs in my opinion on acoustic instruments. Haven't taken the time yet on synth sounds though.

• Members

I'm planning on thinning out some of my collection. The K2661 is awesome, but I have so many keys already. I can just sample the sounds right into my Miko. It is maxed out with 128MB sampling RAM, Stereo Dynamic Piano, and Vintage Electric Pianos ROM installed. As well as the ribbon controller. If anyone is interested pm me.

• Members

*starts fund for Chick's BADLY needed eye operation*
:eek:

You might want to start one for an ear operation as well. The Kurzweil stuff is OK but definitely not a hands down superior thing. I played one of the PC2 boards for awhile this weekend and was less than impressed with it. I'd happily take a similarly priced Yamaha or Roland unit over it any day. I haven't played the K2600 but having seen the price - they'd have to include a gorgeous blonde as part of the package before I'd consider one.

• Members

My understanding is that the PC3 will have 128 voices of polyphony. Unfortunately the PC3 is not going to be able to access user samples, unless Kurzweil comes to their senses before releasing it.

The only thing that makes the K2 series of any value after all these years is the fact that you can put your own samples in there. With all the other incredible options now available I see little point in another closed rompler. I think Kurzweil is about 10 years too late with the PC3.

I have no idea why people are continuing to make the PC3 into the next K-series synth. The PC3 is the next evolution in the PC series.The PC series do not have sample ram in them.

Yes - the PC3 has more advanced/improved VAST then the K26 series.

Yes - it has more powerful effects then the K26 series.

Yes - it has VA1 type oscillators.

No - it is not part of the K-series of synths.

10 years to late?

Have you heard the PC3 yet?

• Members

10 years too late?

Have you heard the PC3 yet?

No, of course I haven't heard it. Have you? I'd be very happy to be proven wrong here and to see Kurzweil release an instrument that finally lives up to the promise of those first revolutionary K2000s.

As others have pointed out on this thread we have no idea how late this thing will actually be, if and when it ever gets released.

• Members

I got interested in their current PC1SE as my first weighted board. I figured it was a little smaller with only 76 keys and seemed like a unique kb. I just didn't think the piano sound was any better than the Triton Extreme. It took the gas right out of me.

• Members

The only negative I can think of is limited polyphony, as it has been said.

The only negative I can think of is that it sounds like a piece of crap. I got one almost for free (K2000R with both ROMs as a tradein), but it was so bad that I decided I didn't even want it for free since all it'd be doing is occupying space in the room and collecting dust. And since I already have a stand for my monitor (E4), I thought why would I need another one.

I seriously doubt sanity of those people who like it, since there are tons of way better choices for pretty much anything K can do.

• Members

The only negative I can think of is that it sounds like a piece of crap I seriously doubt sanity of those people who like it, since there are tons of way better choices for pretty much anything K can do.

The K2000 is a 17 year old digital synth. What were you expecting? As has already been pointed out in this thread there is a significant difference in how the K2600s sound in comparison to the old K2000s. This is due in large part to the KDFX effects processor and much better D to A converters.

It's pointless to judge the quality of a K2's sound if you haven't even loaded samples into it. The factory waveforms are pretty weak, but most other hardware samplers don't even have waveforms in ROM.

I may not be Kurzweil's biggest fan, but there is plenty a K2 instrument can do that most of the other hardware synths on the market can't. This is by far the best hardware platform for making sampled instruments expressive and playable. Here's one example: By setting different layers of a program to activate or deactivate using "Channel State" as a source you can do the same legato layer switching that requires a cumbersome script in Kontakt. Let's see you do that on a Fantom or Trinity.

• Members

Yea the poliphony .. .. thats the real problem ...

butr still for me ther shust no contest in Sound ... and thats .. what i only really want ..

m3 sound nice and alot off technology but sitll sound .. mmmm

motif xs the same ..

fantom good .. but you have tu be a true wizard like the guys who made the demo in the fantom x .( acitually i really dont like it i had and it was a nightmare sold it for 900 dlls )

• Members

How important is polyphony to your application? If you are just playing live one or two sounds at a time you'll be fine. If you need something to play back dense sequences where timing is critical you might be disappointed.

For the cost of a new K2661 you should be able to get a used K2600 (remember, it's the exact same synth) AND a used Roland XV5080 with some decent sound cards on board. This is an incredibly powerful combination, the sounds of these two instruments compliment each other well and you'll have enough polyphony for most applications.

• Members

The only negative I can think of is that it sounds like a piece of crap. I got one almost for free (K2000R with both ROMs as a tradein), but it was so bad that I decided I didn't even want it for free since all it'd be doing is occupying space in the room and collecting dust. And since I already have a stand for my monitor (E4), I thought why would I need another one.

I seriously doubt sanity of those people who like it, since there are tons of way better choices for pretty much anything K can do.

Maybe you should make sure what synthesizer you're talking about before scattering {censored} at random and insult the vast majority of keyboardists on the planet.

• Members

Maybe you should make sure what synthesizer you're talking about before scattering {censored} at random and insult the vast majority of keyboardists on the planet.

I talked about K2000 in case you have doubts. And I wouldn't be so audacious to claim "vast majority" of keyboardists. None of the half-decent producers I ever checked whose work I found even mildly interesting had one of those. :rolleyes:

Unless we talk about jazz and IDM musicians of course, in which case it's not important what they use at all since the end result of their work comes nowhere near close to the meaning of the word "music", so their opinion could be disregarded.

Archived