Adding a LED to a Marshall footswitch

warioblast

• Members

It depends how it switches. There is only a mono cable on there which means the stomp switch it simply making a connection between tip an sleeve of the plug. When the amp sees those two connected it switches channel. Now an amp can just use ground for this which means there's no power for an LED, but this obviously totally depends on the amp. If the amp is sending volts through the switch then you could use that to power the LED. Do you have a multimeter?

• Members

To check it you need to set your meter on DC voltage and use the black proble against a point of ground, and the red probe against each of the lugs. Only problem is that because there are only two cores of the cable, and you've shown them going straight to to stomp switch, it doesn't sound like the casing itself is actually grounded. And that being the case you'd need to find an ground point in the amps chassis to to touch the black probe to.

Out of interest, what amp is it? I'll see if I can find a schematic

• Members

Now an amp can just use ground for this which means there's no power for an LED

Ahh! Thats why I couldn't get it to work with my Orange amp! I was so frustrated, eventually just checked with a batery tester and there was no power at all. So pissed that i have to use a seperate power suppy for teh led :mad:

• Members

To check it you need to set your meter on DC voltage and use the black proble against a point of ground, and the red probe against each of the lugs. Only problem is that because there are only two cores of the cable, and you've shown them going straight to to stomp switch, it doesn't sound like the casing itself is actually grounded. And that being the case you'd need to find an ground point in the amps chassis to to touch the black probe to.

Out of interest, what amp is it? I'll see if I can find a schematic

It's a DSL 50 head.

• Members

I have a PED801, which is the same as yours, only with an LED. It is easy to put an LED in, all you need is an LED and a 1K? resistor.

1. Cathode (flat side of LED) goes to the white terminal.

2. One end of the 1K? resistor goes to the red terminal, the other end goes to the Anode (round side) of the LED. That's it.

• Members

I have a PED801, which is the same as yours, only with an LED. It is easy to put an LED in, all you need is an LED and a 1K? resistor.

1. Cathode (flat side of LED) goes to the white terminal.

2. One end of the 1K? resistor goes to the red terminal, the other end goes to the Anode (round side) of the LED. That's it.

icon_hail.gif

Thank you so very much. :thu:

fs.gif

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived