Seeing Thrice on Thursday night

Loobs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i went to the same show and i thought it was incredible. haha sorry to the guy that didn't enjoy it. i have to say i hate moshing too and i usually try to get up close to the front and to the side at shows. last night i was right next to the p.a. on teppei's side and was blown away by their sound. the opening bands didn't do anything for me, the 2nd in particular being really out of place, year long disaster i think they were called.

anyway back to thrice, i thought everything sat perfectly in the mix, a lot of time at shows, and particularly with heavy music, i find the vocals have a hard time cutting through without sounding muddy, but last night was probably one of the best sounding shows i've been to. it's also first time i've seen a show at the electric ballroom. the only technical snag i can remember was riley's bass pedal breaking going into firebreather, which did momentarily kill the mood, but dustin swapped around the set list a bit and played stare at the sun by himself while the other guys were fixing that. right before they bust into firebreather though, eddie plays something on his nord that sounds like the whole building is burning down. it really had a feeling of a huge fire tearing up {censored}. the water songs translate really well live, the whaler being my favourite on the water disc and it was cool to see dustin noodle with the kaoss pad at the end of digital sea. i also prefer the live version of their cover of the earth isn't humming to the ep version.

the set list(not in order): of dust and nations, the whaler, daedalus, broken lungs, the messenger, come all you weary, all thats left, artist in the ambulance, the earth will shake, deadbolt, hold fast hope, firebreather, digital sea, the earth isn't humming, silhouette, stare at the sun, for miles, red sky.

i would gladly have traded some of their more well known songs like all thats left/artist/stare at the sun for some stuff they don't play as often, like don't tell and we won't ask or flags of dawn, but i understand them wanting to play some of the more popular stuff for fans that haven't seen them for a couple years, and in preparation for the festival(s) they're gonna be playing. and really, they played enough songs that i was eager to hear that i didn't really mind.

oh and about stage presence, yea they have toned down the headbanging, but i think they've also become far better musicians. eddie is still a beast and when dustin screams, it sounds like it's coming from the deepest parts of his soul(semi-cheesy sarcasm). i dunno if you stuck around to see hold fast hope, or the trade off of vocals between dustin and eddie during the earth will shake, but some of those screams are chilling. it's really more of a roar.

Archived