Vintage synth space sounds help

Michael McGlenn

• Members

I think Dreamweaver was Arp String Ensemble...

I would imagine those old Sci Fi shows would use lots of Arp actually...

I remember the series of Logans Run in the 1970s... probably total crap now... saw the film a few years back for the first time... pretty dated but neat..

• Members

Cool, thanx.

I don't remember a Logan's Run Series...just the Movie, which I own.

I
LOVE
the opening sounds of Dream Weaver. ARP eh?

What do they run ($) now used and what modern synth would do that?

Thanks again for the help.

Hello. I just got a program called "Nostalgia" by Zero-G that can do many string synth sounds such as the Arp, Crumar Multiman, Eminent, Farfisa, Roland JP6, Moog Opus, Polymoog.

I also have a synth module called Emu Vintage Pro which can do some string synths. There are other modules such as "Emu Vintage Keys", "Emu Classic Keys" that can do some of these sounds also.

There is also a new VSTI program by Gforce that can do many of these.

Are you looking just for string sounds? There are also airy choir/vocal sounds that are cool.

• Members

I use these two (on the bottom):

dynacord.jpg

Dynacord Vertical Reverberation System VRS-23 - an analog reverb / delay. All you need to do is to connect two of them to talk to each other for a while, and within 30 minutes you have the whole Forbidden Planet soundtrack recorded. There is no need for any sound input, or external synthesizer. They can both self oscillate and will do all kind of sick and unpredicted sounds.

First 40 seconds of this demo are nothing but two VRS-23's. The rest is Yamaha CS-15 analog synthesizer (processed with VRS-23). I have another CS-15 "noises only" demo here, but i really don't know if these are the sound you are looking for.

• Members

Thanks, I'm mostly looking for the Spacey futuristic sounds, not the strings.

My band used a Prophet VS in the studio for airy string tones, but I want the tinkly, outer space sounds.

With regard to Logans Run sounds those future sounds are very much the past... so I think the comment about getting Nostalgia is pretty bang on...

I reckon its all there to create soundtracks to any 1970s sci fi series...

btw... if you really love 1970s space disco that was in Buck Rogers I managed to find this

Andromeda - the best band in the universe!(not really)

Original clip on youtube... check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmxXIS2ot8w

who would have known that in the future we would all be dancing to 1970s music... ;)

Also check out the Arp clips

ARP2600.zip

These are the kinds of things I remember in the 70s as being all about the future... still holds true now...

• Members

Cool, thanx.

I don't remember a Logan's Run Series...just the Movie, which I own.

I
LOVE
the opening sounds of Dream Weaver. ARP eh?

What do they run ($) now used and what modern synth would do that?

Thanks again for the help.

Yeah the series was not the same people, but I can imagine is very very very poor by todays standards...

I'd imagine Dreamweaver is all Arp String Ensemble and Minimoog... seems like Gary Wright was a big moog fan...

Y'know I think a s/h Yamaha EX5/EX7 and Ski's vintage patches might be a good buy to do a lot of these things...

http://www.ex5tech.com/

• Members

Gary Wright used ARP equipment, a Mini Moog, and played a Rhodes stage piano live in DREAM WEAVER. Keep in mind that fully programmable poly synths weren't around yet back in those days. IIRC, there are Arp String Ensemble chords being played, a Rhodes sound, and PROBABLY a Mini Moog doing the spacey sound effects in the intro to the song. I'll have to check to see if I have the original record at home with Dream Weaver on it (not sure if I do) If so, I'll check the credits and see what the instrument list says, if anything.

Mike T.

• Members

Any modern rompler, analog or VA synth should be able to do those spacey sound effects easily enough. A FM (DX) synth can too, if you run it through effects. Apply some pitch EG or use the pitch bender, and use an LFO to modulate the sound. Run it through some reverb and chorus to give it that spacey feel.

I think Gary used an ARP 2600 as well, but it could just be another short-circuit in my brain giving me that info. ;) That sustained low note during the intro is definitely Moog though.

I have to say, the ARP Solina is definitely "the" synth string sound of the 70s.

• Members

WOW!! A Helpful Forum :thu:

Thanks for all the input...although all of my output is squarewave :wave:

The HGF is the closest to what I'm talking about. If I got ahold of a vintage Moog ($$$) then it would still take me 10 lightyears to find the sound.

I was kind of hoping for a default patch in a modern synth that I could tweak.

Thanks again everyone.

27 year guitarist

Synth N00B

• Members

Do you currently own a synth?

If not, what else are you looking for in one?

Pretty much anything can do the spacey stuff with some programming. Maybe you would do well with a used Korg M1. They're cheap nowadays and are loaded with a lot of spacey type sounds.

• Members

One rack of Euro or Frac modules wouldn't run that much, and provide enough space noises for the next billion or so years. I would get an LFO, a couple of self oscillating filters (to create pure sine waves with,) a VCA, and maybe a wave folder or random voltage source. Two sine oscillators and an LFO will get you most of the cartoon-space-scape-scrolling-by space effects. A nice spring reverb is helpful too. Anyway, that's how I'd approach it.

• Members

I think you can go in three ways depending on your needs and money:

1. Cheepo but accurate - you can find samples of the sounds you like either floating around the internet or on a commercially available sample CD/DVD - good for oneshot sound effects or studio work. Sucky if you want to come up with original sounds or if you are doing this live;

2. Cheepo and gets near there, but... - two of my effects boxes can get some of that space-whoosh/computer burble sounds: my Yamaha MagicStomp (discontinued and dirt cheap) has an eight tap delay with modulation, the Adrenalinn (ver 1 is $100-$150) has sequenced filtering. Both can get you near a lot of the classic synth sounds in terms of "feel". Actually duplicating something may be harder/impossible.

3. Used VA (virtual analog) - Alesis Micron/MicroKorg/Novation K or X Stations can be had for less than $300 and not much more used. I'd be shocked, shocked I say, if there weren't some pre-sets out of the box that had what you wanted, especially the Micron since it's based on a synth designed for that kind of work.

• Members

I am so blown away by all the help! The other forums (HCAF) you are labeled a N00b or get ranked down if you don't own a $2000+ amp. You guys all believe in creating the sounds you hear and give the advice of past experiences. Thanks.

My first serious look into a synth was a Korg N264. ( I think that was the model) It had a beautiful patch called Morning Air or something that gave a breathy airy sound. I Just need a atmospheric noise generator, not a piano use board.

I record into a Fostex MR-8 and dump into my computer to burn discs. I don't use the computer for recording or production at all...I'm kinda old school.

So for me, a stand alone board is ideal. Someone said that the outer space sounds were made from a Moog...that might be my ticket, to find a synth that emulates that.

• Members

I am so blown away by all the help! The other forums (HCAF) you are labeled a N00b or get ranked down if you don't own a $2000+ amp. You guys all believe in creating the sounds you hear and give the advice of past experiences. Thanks.

So for me, a stand alone board is ideal. Someone said that the outer space sounds were made from a Moog...that might be my ticket, to find a synth that emulates that.

Finding a synth that emulates that will be easy. Trying to explain to that synth dweeb listening to your demo that the Moog emulation from your cheapo VA is good enough for your needs...well, ever try to defend a Pod XT track to the HCAF hardcore???...ouch...

• Members

Finding a synth that emulates that will be easy. Trying to explain to that synth dweeb listening to your demo that the Moog emulation from your cheapo VA is good enough for your needs...well, ever try to defend a Pod XT track to the HCAF hardcore???...ouch...

Yeah, I've been playing for 27 years and have owned Marshalls, Boogies, Fenders, Carvin tube amps. I currently use a Solid State rack rig now an I love my tone now more than I ever did with those amps.

http://www.earcandycabs.com/mp3/Track01.mp3

Check out my non-tube tone and sustain on this track. Line 6 Uber Metal for the distortion, into a Carvin HT150 Poweramp.

Backing track is a Boss DR-5 sequencer.

Archived