Saw this LA band "Rooney" on TV, lots of synths

ChipCurtis

• Members

On a Direct TV channel that sometimes shows bands in concert, they had on this band called Rooney from LA, they videotaped their new album release concert at the Roxy. It was pretty good. Best thing about it was that they put a lot of camera time on their keyboardist Louie Stephens, who had some cool gear... Juno 60, Virus TI Polar, MS2000, some Roland keyboard controller (A80?) and a Fender Rhodes.

The best thing about it was that HE USED ALL OF HIS KEYBOARDS! He wasn't just stuck on one instrument while all the other stuff being for "show". And the cameraman actually showed him at the right times when he played leads, and you could see/hear him play the leads, and the pads from his Juno 60, etc. I actually liked about 80% of their songs too! Pretty cool band. You really don't see stuff like this anymore, where a keyboardist is being considered such a vital member of the band (visually and sonically) and is being shown a lot by camerman. Anybody else catch this?

• Members

They are not like my favorite band or anything, but the keyboardist in Maroon 5 uses a few keyboards and he knows how to play too. It's good seeing synths coming back to the mainstream, although I couldn't care less about the mainstream music TBH.

• Members

Rooney write some great songs. On the last album the only synths the keyboard player had was a Roland JX3P with the PG-300 controller. I think the synths add a little psychedelic sound to their music. As for Maroon 5, I do not enjoy their latest album. But yeah, it's nice to see some live playing.

• Members

Funk the mainstream, they're takin up all the airplay for our sweet synths :mad::cry:

I guess we need to get on our horses and show em what's up.

(But at least if the band has 5 keys on the stage, it's definitely cool to play them all and get the different vibes out of them)

Archived