Dirt - before or in effects loop???

kidder

• Members

I have a good amount of dirt pedals and am using a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 with 1960A cab. My question is where would you place the pedals in this setup. I am getting lots of rack gear also and am gettting confused on where to place all this stuff. HELP PLEASE!!!

• Members

Before amp, unless you're going to use said dirt as more of a clean boost, maybe even with just a little edge to boost the power stage. I haven't tried this personally, but most report favorable results.

• Members

If you're getting any sort of overdrive or distortion from your amp, you will probably be better served by putting any modulation, delay or reverb effects in the loop. If you're only running your amp clean, save yourself the extra lengths of cable - along with the potential of extra added noise - and just put them in front of the amp.

That's what I would do anyway. Your results may vary and you should do some experimentation to find out what best suits your needs.

• Members

What benefits does using the effects loop do? I have heard that lots of guys run all the pedals before the amp. I know that dirt will usually go before amp but why should other pedals come after the amp?

OK, so... Dirt tends to work better in front of the amp because it's designed to work in conjunction with the preamp section. When you put an effect in the loop, the signal hits the effect after the preamp section. This can be great for modulation pedals and things like reverb, although different people have different preferences here. Just try all the possible combinations and figure out what sounds best to you.

• Members

well first i'd take the lid off the sonic maximiser and take a dump inside. shake, and allow to set. sounds better this way.

the problem you'll find using rack stuff and pedals together in the loop is that idealy they'll want to see different signal levels, you may have issues trying to use them together.

general consensus of opinion is dirt before amp, modulation and time based wherever you want it, but some people like it in the loop, especially if you use amp dirt. reality is simple, there are no rules at all, it's pretty much impossible to break {censored} by playing with your cable order, so just experiment.

i'd suggest you pull your rig apart and add elements one at a time, trying them in different places and different orders so you get a feel for what does what, it's far better for you to sit down and try flanger before distortion and then flanger after distortion than for us to try and explain the difference, same applies to all this {censored}....

Archived