Trinity or Triton Le/TR/X?

Yoozer

• Members

Whee, a topic started by Yoozer. That was a while ago ;).

I've searched on the Korg forums for information about the TR Rack. I have the Trinitron editor but I haven't used it yet.

I really like the TR rack sounds. I am however also eyeing the Micro X.

I use the TR currently only in monotimbral mode. I wonder if the Micro X would be a better option: I already have some good outboard reverb and delay, and I handle compression with plugins, and I like the idea of more control, basically all of Korg's old waveforms (they're heavy on the reuse, and why not - good material), and the arpeggiators, knobs and built-in keyboard for quick ideas.

I'm just wondering about the sound and the quality of the filters. Anyone able to give a nice comparison?

• Members

I'm just wondering about the sound and the quality of the filters. Anyone able to give a nice comparison?

MicroX is an amazing sounding keyboard, its VERY impressive. Its built cheaply, gets really hot, and the keys feel lousy, but the sound quality is really great.

The 2 octave keyboard made me play everything in the same key.:rolleyes: I exchanged mine for an X50, I couldnt deal with the Keyboard. Even though they are very similiar, I think the microX has the better sounds.

• Members

So, would that be much of a problem if I'd use it as a module with knobs? The arpeggiator should still be usable from an external controller, right?

Too bad there's no way to chop the keys off, there's probably a circuit board beneath them. The heat - is it concentrated somewhere or is it the entire machine that warms up? I've already read about the flimsy outputs and PSU connection, but I don't count on connecting/disconnecting it a lot of times.

Just trying to minimize any possible damaging factors; I'll see if I can go give it a test tonight or tomorrow. If it sounds as good or better than my TR rack, then I know what to get rid of.

• Members

Too bad there's no way to chop the keys off, there's probably a circuit board beneath them.

Yow!

It is not a problem to turn Micro-X into a module, but for that cost you can snatch a nice vintage delay or chorus unit. :lol: To give an example, I recently had one guy to build me rack ears for Kurzweil 2500R - damn thing turned almost 40 EUR - (ok high density steel was used, as Kurz is heavy, but still...). It is just a pair of custom rack ears...damnit!

If you get the Micro, just put it on the wall (shelf) and it will look: :cool:

BTW Have you checked Korg forums if rack version was announced? I dunno, but sounds strange, there is no module.... yet.

• Members

There's the M3M now so that sort of has taken over the Triton Rack, and even then; I don't think there's viability in releasing a rack if the difference in price with the keys is so low (the reason that there's a Radias rack is because you bolt it on either the M3 keyboard and because VAs have their use as desktop synths - a subtle but important difference) If you'd chop off the keys you wouldn't gain much.

I've read the SOS review which was rather glowing about the sound quality. It's not that I dislike the TR rack's sound quality - I love it - but to me it's mostly the annoyance of not being able to control it directly.

Call me spoiled, but menu diving isn't for me. Trying to assign everything to an external controller won't work that great, either; so, the best I can hope for is that Korg have learned something between 1998 and 2007 ;).

• Members

Update:

I've bought a white Micro-X today. I also had a chance to play with the R3 and the Prophet '08.

The R3's absolutely mad fun. The vocoder is incredibly intuitive; much more to the foreground than any additional vocoder effects in most other VAs. The sounds are programmed well and they're slick; not necessarily emulating vintage analog, though, albeit that there was a nice warm Moogy bass in there.

The Prophet '08 is jaw.

...dropping

...wow.

There's some massive bass in there, and it sounds great, clear, defined, and well, I don't know how to say this otherwise, but you feel you're in charge, in control of the sound. And this was only with headphones on. It's certainly not vintage battleship-huge, but the keyboard plays nice and it feels solid, and the rotary knobs are gorgeous.

There's only one issue I can find with it, and those are the pushbuttons; I find 'm a bit too small (and they can wobble a bit even though the tolerances are very small). They should look like this:

l34006dw9.jpg

(I've got the same issue with the Ion though; I guess I want vandal-proof stuff)

:D

• Members

Oh well.... i would go with the black.
:p

Initially I wanted the black one too, but there wasn't one in the store. This one will fit nicely with my padKontrol, though.

BTW have you compared raw waveforms from TR-rack and MicroX? Have they updated the rom?
:lol:

There's an M1 piano preset in there, go figure ;).

No, haven't done that yet - will do. The strings and EPs sound a lot more fresh, though. The arpeggiator is simply amazing; the combis are programmed really well, and there's some beautiful patches in there.

• Members

No, haven't done that yet - will do. The strings and EPs sound a lot more fresh, though. The arpeggiator is simply amazing; the combis are programmed really well, and there's some beautiful patches in there.

Reading its specs looks like this is a 2 octave version of Korg TR61 (which is an updated version of Triton Le). I suppose waveforms in TR61 and MicroX are the same too. They probably just made new patches. Will check if MicroX can import TR61 patches.

• Members

Yoozer, question for you.

Im quite interested on getting a Micro X as im missing alot of sounds ive known and loved from the Karma. Having an extra 32mb of new sounds is also an added bonus... but a few people have reported that the unit gets quite warm after a while. Have you noticed yours becomeing overly 'warm' at all?

Also what do you think of the editing software that it comes with? Looks rather cool from what ive read.

:thu:

• Members

but a few people have reported that the unit gets quite warm after a while. Have you noticed yours becomeing overly 'warm' at all?

On the back where the wall-wart is plugged in, it gets quite warm. The rest of the 'board stays :cool:

Also what do you think of the editing software that it comes with? Looks rather cool from what ive read.

Haven't had the time for that yet, sorry :). I'll report when I do.

Archived