How to build small 1U rack pedalboard for $25

SUPER VELCROBOY

• Members

a pedalboard doesn't have to be expensive.

pair of locking jacks = $8

wood from Home Depot = $10

nails, sand paper, paint = $5

time = 1 night + dry time

tools needed = hand saw, hammer, dremel, drill bit

skills level = beginner

will fit 4 Boss pedals and 1 rack processor.

can be adapted for personal customization.

special joints possible

2864220145_4c6ec48bb3_o.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

it looks great my only concern would be the rack knobs are very vulnerable to be kicked if you ever use this on the floor. Maybe you should have mounted rack rails a little deeper into the board??

Maybe extend the lower level (below the rack) out another 8" or so and you could put a midi footcontroller there, then route a 1' midi cable to the Midi in on the Intellifex. You could call up patches with your feet and also protect the knobs on the intellifex at the same time. Still an awesome idea and job Super Velcroboy! :thu:

• Members

Maybe extend the lower level (below the rack) out another 8" or so and you could put a midi footcontroller there, then route a 1' midi cable to the Midi in on the Intellifex. You could call up patches with your feet and also protect the knobs on the intellifex at the same time. Still an awesome idea and job Super Velcroboy!
:thu:

Hm, that's a great suggestion! I wasn't even thinking about kick the knobs, but i guess that would be something to worry about. I wanted to build a tiny program change footswitch to call up patches, but I am liking your idea much better.

• Members

Hm, that's a great suggestion! I wasn't even thinking about kick the knobs, but i guess that would be something to worry about. I wanted to build a tiny program change footswitch to call up patches, but I am liking your idea much better.

If you do it, post pics again of when it's done! :) You could even try a temporary version by mounting (maybe just with double stick tape as it's just to see what it's like) what you have to a base about 19 or 20" wide and about 16" or 17" deep. If it doesn't work out, just pull of what you've already made and you haven't destroyed what you have right now. It could be cool.

I'm going to dig out a couple of rack pieces I have and give them a try. It so happens that delays and reverbs are the one area of my setup that have the most questions still unansawered about how I'll address them. Your project could open up a WHOLE other can of worms for me! :thu::lol:

• Members

If you do it, post pics again of when it's done!
:)
You could even try a temporary version by mounting (maybe just with double stick tape as it's just to see what it's like) what you have to a base about 19 or 20" wide and about 16" or 17" deep. If it doesn't work out, just pull of what you've already made and you haven't destroyed what you have right now. It could be cool.

i probably won't do it anytime soon, but i will draw up a new diagram for how to build one. :thu:

• Members

Thats freaking awesome!!! I would be worried about kicking the knobs on the rack gear though..

yeah i know. Unfortunately, i didn't have this foresight when i was designing it. I can make the lower piece longer and deeper, but kicking the knobs might still occur. If i leave anything in front of the rack, that would obstruct the view of the rack face. If i make the top piece deeper, that would prevent accidental kicking but also the rack face. So i don't know. There isn't a perfect solution. I can probably also design the rack on top of the pedals and allow it to swing at an angle. This was my original plan actually and would probably be ideal, but a little more difficult to implement.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been putting together a budget board and thought about picking up an old rack unit. Seeing your original 1U board earlier in this thread was an affirmation of the idea. My implementation is going to be what you've decided on -- putting the rack unit up top and angled. I also thought about using some sort of metal grate type covering on top to help vent the rack unit.

Anyway, your idea looks great. Love to see when it's finished.

• Members

I've been putting together a budget board and thought about picking up an old rack unit. Seeing your original 1U board earlier in this thread was an affirmation of the idea. My implementation is going to be what you've decided on -- putting the rack unit up top and angled. I also thought about using some sort of metal grate type covering on top to help vent the rack unit.

Anyway, your idea looks great. Love to see when it's finished.

yes, it think it's going to be an improvement over version 1, namely

--better visualization of the rack

--avoid kicking the rack

also i'm going to

--create an incline on the board so that it's easier to stomp pedals

--make the board lower also, but the overall size will be slightly bigger

--make room for a power suppy underneath the board

should be still $25 or less :)

• Members

also i'm going to

--create an incline on the board so that it's easier to stomp pedals

--make the board lower also, but the overall size will be slightly bigger

--make room for a power suppy underneath the board

Mine will be slightly angled and have room for a power strip. I figure I can rip a 2x4 at the desired angle and then put a cross brace in the back of the board to attach the power strip to. Then mount the main surface onto that.

Archived