Amp suggestions for GT-10?

joegrant413

• Members

I'm approaching GAS for a Boss GT-10, and think I'd probably need something besides my DRRI to have a reasonably uncolored amp for it. But I don't want to blow a lot of bucks doing this.

Some options that come to mind:

- A Crate Power Block going into the Avatar 2x12 closed cab I already have. The cab has Celestion V30 and G12H30 speakers.

- A Roland Cube 30 or better.

- Just go with the DRRI, and spend a lot of time getting the global EQ right.

Whaddoya think?

-- Joe

• Members

Out of those amps you mention I think your Fender is the best!! I use a Laney VC30 with my GT-10 - but into the FX return bypassing the amps preamp...it sounds pretty good with some tweaking. Any good amp with a sparkly clean sound will do you a good job. A remember many years ago being very impressed with a Vox ac30 and a Boss GT-6!! Now the GT-10 is way better than the GT-6 but the same thing applies ie great clean sounding amp will do good things and I think the tubes will help warm up the digitalness in the GT's!!!

• Members

JC-120 is actually recommended for the GT's. There is an output setting on it for JC-120. And yes, that amp sounds fine at bedroom volume. It is solid state, so it doesn't ask to be cranked. But it is a loud amp as it is. There is a big difference between 1 and 1.5.

The other thing to consider about the GT-10 is the possible usage of the four-cable method (4CM). If you haven't looked into that, it is a nice way to use your own amp's preamp in conjunction with the GT-10. You need an effects loop on the amp though (sorry DRRI...).

The signal goes
Guitar > GT-10 input.
GT-10 (send) > amp input.
Amp effects send > GT-10 (return)
GT-10 mono out > amp effects return.

Then you configure the GT-10's effects chains (there are two editable chains inside -neat!) to put some GT-10 effects first, then the loop (which contains your amp's own preamp), then more GT-10 effects.

• Members

JC-120 is actually recommended for the GT's. There is an output setting on it for JC-120. And yes, that amp sounds fine at bedroom volume. It is solid state, so it doesn't ask to be cranked. But it is a loud amp as it is. There is a big difference between 1 and 1.5.

The other thing to consider about the GT-10 is the possible usage of the four-cable method (4CM).....

Thanks, bro. I suppose I could also consider a used JC-50, -90, etc. And, yes, I've heard of the 4CM, but haven't had a chance to try it.

BTW, on another board, someone else I trust a lot says he gets good mileage out of the humble Crate PowerBlock and a good cab.

Later,

-- Joe

• 2 months later...

Archived