Trade SRX-07 "Classic Keys" for your SRX-11 "Complete Piano"?

• Members

I think everyone knows what you are talking about pfc, but you might want to change your title to "Ultimate Keys".

Now... you may remember that I'm looking for an XV-88 like what you just picked up, so I've done a little research on this one. In order for that board to use SRX-11 and 12, it needs a different operating system (firmware upgrade? whatever they call this stuff) in order to read the different sample rate conversion. I think. Read it somewhere. If I were to do what you are thinking about, I'd place a call to Roland Support and see what's necessary.

• Members

I didn't know the SRX-11 was that much newer than Ultimate (you right BTW) Keys guess i better check up on that and thanks for the tip. I DO remember another XV88 owner that has both SRX-11 and SRX-12, maybe he can pop back in here. I hath to go do a piano gig RIGHT now so can't dig the thread up.

I think Kiru was an XV88 owner, no? Haven't heard from him in a long while... :wave:

• Members

I didn't know the SRX-11 was that much newer than Ultimate (you right BTW) Keys guess i better check up on that and thanks for the tip. I DO remember another XV88 owner that has both SRX-11 and SRX-12, maybe he can pop back in here. I hath to go do a piano gig RIGHT now so can't dig the thread up.

Ultimate Keys is not really a "piano" board ... it specializes in Hammonds, EPs, 'analog' synth sounds, and a smattering of other good patches ...

the SRX-11 Complete Piano I'm coming to understand is a Fantom-X-level sampled grand that some consider an upgrade but others say isn't worth it if you already have an X.

• Members

I think Kiru was an XV88 owner, no? Haven't heard from him in a long while...
:wave:

He and I are mostly over at analogia now. Personally, I can't stand the moderation here, but I drop by from time to time. :wave:

I have the SRX 11 and feel kinda torn. I would love to take PFC up on his offer, but I need a decent piano in hardware a lot more than I need the other keys. Sorry PFC. :)

• Members

Hey I got an XV-88 fully loaded w/SRX11, SRX12 as well as "Keyboards of the 60&70s and "Vintage Synth" expansion cards. I did have to get the latest OS (1.6 I believe?) from the Roland site to able to use the SRX11&12. All the later SRX cards require the latest OS.

Hope this helps.

• Members

I hate hauling it (XV88) around, it's heavy in hard case. I've never fully embraced editing patches on it (prefer Korg's UI), the tiny abbreviated display is terrible by today's standards. I have created numerous performances but still have to refer to manual after 7 years.

But my acoustic pianos, rhodes, wurly (after major tweeking) clavs & mellotrons are tops. But those sounds are all coming from exp cards. Great acoustic guitars, synth pads & leads (mostly from vintage synth card) etc. Key action is still solid and I'm a heavy handed player. Simply can't afford anything new at the moment.

For what I do, classic 70s & 80s rock / alternative it covers most of my bases. A Korg 01/W pro, Voce 5+ and Alesis Ion round out my kit.

• Members

But my acoustic pianos, rhodes, wurly (after major tweeking) clavs & mellotrons are tops. But those sounds are all coming from exp cards.

Yeah I understand about the expansion board thing. And the weight thing.

Personally I really like SRX-11 and 12, and also the action on the XV-88. I'm not going to bid on one on eBay because of the high cost of shipping that pig and the increased chances of a board that heavy arriving undamaged, but if one were to show up locally at the right price...

PFC grabbed his with two SRX boards inside for $500. If I lucked out with something like that showing up around here I'd be all over it.

• Members

I had to drive a ways to get it- seller would not ship- so it wasn't THAT great a deal (but still OK). I love the SRX-02 Concert Piano dark, meaty sound - much more than the shrill piano included in "Ultimate Keys"- but it doesn't respond to my playing nearly as well as my P120 piano. Eventually I will sell both 88's and get something like a Roland FP4 or GEM PRP800- I need on-board speakers.

Archived