can anything negative happen with unused daisy chain connectors under a pedalboard???

hangwire

• Members

It could cause the supply to short out if the pins touch something metal, so just cover the unused pins with electrical tape.

This doesn't really seem to ever be a problem (for me), except for DOD pedals which, coincidentally, seem to be the only pedals that power up by default when I plug in my board. If the barrels ground out, then the pedals on the chain all turn off (or something, I haven't used a daisy chain in a while).

• Members

This doesn't really seem to ever be a problem (for me), except for DOD pedals which, coincidentally, seem to be the only pedals that power up by default when I plug in my board. If the barrels ground out, then the pedals on the chain all turn off (or something, I haven't used a daisy chain in a while).

it happened to me at a few gigs... but then i realized what was going on.

• Members

The barrel (the outside of the connector) is positive. The chassis on the pedals (for most pedals, anyway) is negative. If the barrel touches one of the pedals, or the metal cover of a patch cord, then you'll short out the power supply, and may even fry it.

I don't recommend using electrical tape. It leaves a sticky adhesive residue. Shrink tubing is a good idea. You could even stick a little bag over the connectors and put a rubber band around it.

Archived