getting started with laptop and controller

cruciatus

• Members

Okay I'm not that up-to-date on MIDI or anything. all i need, really, is piano and hammond. BUT I do have a spare laptop lying around (someone gave us--it's probably about 4-5 years old) and a yamaha 76-key from best buy i could use as a controller. Do the most recent versions of like, NI's Hammond and good soft pianos require a lot of performance? How much should I be looking for? I'd definitely need to buy the software, probably a sound card and of course the hookups. I feel like i could be up and running and sounding pretty good for around 300 bucks. does anyone use these in a live application?

it would be a stable environment (at my church) so setup would be minimal. the first thing to find out would be if my laptop is adequate.

• Members

NI's B4 will probably run on your laptop--it ran just fine on my 400 mhz powerbook. And it's an excellent program. As to pianos, well, I think Pianoteq needs at least a 1 ghz machine and I don't know about any of the sampled pianos. Both B4 and Pianoteq have downloadable tryouts and both will work as standalones (no host program needed), so you could just try them and see.

I use both live and am beyond pleased, though each of them will come close to eating your budget.

Archived