Needa Bleepy Blurpy Arpeggiating Analogish Cheapy Easysynth

cada7

• Members

I'm coming out of the 80's getting back into performing and finding a lot of the music the group wants to do of the guitar variety have these textured arpeggiated analog landscapes running through them - You know what I mean I think. Sure I can program them step-wise for recording, but I need something for performance, and I was thinking the Alesis Ion might be the ticket but it doesn't sound like the arpeggiator is robust and varied enough. Need something relatively cheap - don't care if it has the black and whites with it or is a box - was looking at an Oberheim standalone arpeggiator, etc. to drive my existing synths which in theory would work I *think*??? The textures tend to be of the warmish / etherial mmogish S&H variety in the stuff we are are doing. Also might consider Korg DW-8000 or something.

By cheap I mean @ $500 dollars, by easy means I've got to be able to get ideas down fast, recall and sync them quick for live peformance - is there something really available in a performance oriented arena? Do you sync the drummer to a click track or what? Multitimbrality would be nice, too.

New or Used, Just reliable.

Was wondering about some the Roland SH-505?, etc. Which I kind of like, but wondering if it is easy to use for performance. The Micro-Korgs I don't quite get how to get around, but they might work???

Really kind of frustrating for kind of a straight-ahead player. I'm no syntho-DJ. This is just texture landscaping to make the guitars shimmer in more glory.

Any real-world life story solutions out there?

• Members

This is WHY I LOVE This forum.

Thanks for weighing in.

I think the SH-32 is exactly the ticket. And I confirmed it has portamento, too. Perhaps it even has some real-time control for the rest of my rig too! But if not no problem

I had a chance to pick up one of these actually, when picking up some accessories from a guy who actually used one of these and a more big-daddy newer Roland groove-box to make a couple techno tracks for ESPN to the tune of $4,000. At the time I didn't think I needed it 'cause I was going more soft-synth PC based.

Thanks again folks - Now I just need to go shopping.

• Members

i can weigh in on a couple.

just got an ion, and while i love almost everything about it...sounds great, the interface (both physical and screen) is one of the best i've seen, two mod wheels with easy assignability...the arp options are completely bizarre. they seem to be geared towards rhythmic sounds rather than melodic, and just seem overall unuseful. don't know, but maybe they've been improved on the micron?

i've got a jp8080 as well, and while i don't think it sounds nearly as good (its got a distinct digital grit to it) the arp is way more useable. it covers the basics plus the more rhythmic patterns are much more musical than almost any of the patterns on the ion. the physical interface is the best (i prefer faders to knobs). the software/screen interface is a step down but useable. your typical 'shift-edit-button4-scroll scroll scroll' type of deal. all your patches are accessed via numbered buttons, so no menu scrolling necessary.

• Members
novation nova or k-station: MIDI-syncable in many ways, nice live playability, got 3 oscillators, brilliant arps & very nice fx

You think the k-station has brilliant arps? I think it has very limited arps. I still love that synth engine though, just sounds so good.

• Members

You think the k-station has brilliant arps? I think it has very limited arps. I still love that synth engine though, just sounds so good.

It's really too bad they took out so much moving to the X-station. :mad:

So what's up with the SH-32 anyway? I just saw this

using it as a drum machine. Roland's SH-32 infopage lists the drum functions as secondary. So what gives? Was it supposed to compete with the Korg Electribe and Yamaha AN-200?

• Members

So what's up with the SH-32 anyway? I just saw this
video
using it as a drum machine. Roland's
SH-32 infopage
lists the drum functions as secondary. So what gives? Was it supposed to compete with the Korg Electribe and Yamaha AN-200?

The SH-32 is neither fish or fowl.

It's not a groovebox at all (no sequencer, just a very programmable arpeggiator). It's also not really a VA, they achieved the 32 voice polyphony by using wavetables for the oscillators. That's one reason why when you do hard sync, the polyphony drops to one note and the filter is disabled :eek:

Anyway, it didn't make a dent with the DJ/dance types who buy grooveboxes and didn't thrill VA fans who disliked the aliasing, zippering, etc.

It only took off in the market when Roland discontinued it and the price went from nearly $500 to about $150 overnight. At that price people are a lot less critical of an instrument :thu:

Archived