electribe emx and esx...balanced or unbalanced outs?

scientist

• Members

The headphone jacks are made balanced by using a balance coverter DI box with 1-trs bal cord to L & R bal inputs (xlr) chan 1 of 1 of 2 stereo linked KC-550s....Why? save on cords & no hum/or ground loops...

huh? you can't make a jack balanced from the outside. plus, balancing the headphone outs with your method is no different then balancing the mono outs.

• Members

The headphone jacks are made balanced by using a balance coverter DI box with 1-trs bal cord to L & R bal inputs (xlr) chan 1 of 1 of 2 stereo linked KC-550s....Why? save on cords & no hum/or ground loops...

This is ridiculous. The only purpose of this would be to convert headphone outputs to Line outputs. A lot of amateur gear does not have Line outs, so I doubt a typical amateur would even bother with this.

If one has unbalanced pro-level gear, convert the Line ouputs to balanced with the DI or whatever.

Saving money on two cables doesn't explain how the keyboard was affordable in the first place. :D

• Members

Hi: (Prog) My Yamaha PSR-D1 synth has no L & R outputs, only a headphone jack. So i must use 1 25 FT. balanced stereo TRS cord to the L/R (via female 1/4" phono to 2-RCAs adapter) line inputs on mixer or direct to a set of KC-550s stereo linked. cheers:

• Members

Hi: (Prog) My Yamaha PSR-D1 synth has no L & R outputs, only a headphone jack. So i must use 1 25 FT. balanced stereo TRS cord to the L/R (via female 1/4" phono to 2-RCAs adapter) line inputs on mixer or direct to a set of KC-550s stereo linked. cheers:

But that's still not a balanced out. See above.

B>

• Members

But what is the differnce between balanced/unbalance cords & balanced/unbalance inputs?

A balanced signal is transmitted with a positive and negative side, requiring three conductors for a *single signal*. This avoids all sorts of inteference stuff.

Stereo outputs use the same sort of plug and cable to transmit *two* signals, making them no less, and in fact slightly more, susceptible to interference.

Surely a minute with Google could have found you this?

B>

• Members

Hi:(Packrat) Thanks for explaining the diference. When i got these TRS cords, the sales guy @ GC said they were bal. & i'm running 6 keyboards & 3 Electribes into a 18 chan stereo mixer.....So instead of using 18 separate cords - i use 9 - 25" TRS cords via headphone outs for less clutter.....Can this setup cause problems i'm not aware of ?

• Members

Hi:(Packrat) Thanks for explaining the diference. When i got these TRS cords, the sales guy @ GC said they were bal. & i'm running 6 keyboards & 3 Electribes into a 18 chan stereo mixer.....So instead of using 18 separate cords - i use 9 - 25" TRS cords via headphone outs for less clutter.....Can this setup cause problems i'm not aware of ?

If they're 3-conductor to 3-conductor TRS cables, then you can use them for balanced stuff, just as easily you could use them to run unbalanced reference-sharing stereo. Both of these things use TRS plugs. Consequently, people who should know better refer to a TRS plug alternately as 'stereo' or 'balanced', while it is not necessarily either.

While you should be mostly fine doing what you describe, running two signals down a three-conductor wire (sharing the ground/reference) can cause probelms that you wouldn't have if you ran a pair of 2-conductor wires for a total of 4 conductors. I don't see that this in any way affects clutter because when you buy these cables, they'll typically be in a lightly glued-together pair which you can run together.

B>

• Members

Hi: packrat, your decribing those hosa's 9.9 ft. dual ts unbalance 16 gauge phono cords. They cause hum so i got 9 pairs of 50 ft 12 guage ts cords, but they wern't glued together - very clutterd, but sounded better.....I quess i could use 18 adaptors ( female phono to L & R phonos) on each end of 9 trs 20 ft unbalanced stereo cords & use the L & R outputs on synths, instead of headphone outs....... this setup should be ok, i think. Cheers:

• Members

Hi: packrat, your decribing those hosa's 9.9 ft. dual ts unbalance 16 gauge phono cords. They cause hum so i got 9 pairs of 50 ft 12 guage ts cords, but they wern't glued together - very clutterd, but sounded better.....I quess i could use 18 adaptors ( female phono to L & R phonos) on each end of 9 trs 20 ft unbalanced stereo cords & use the L & R outputs on synths, instead of headphone outs....... this setup should be ok, i think. Cheers:

Hum? That's something else again, I think you'll find. Try not running audio and power cables alongside one another. What's a "phono cord" to you, incidentally?

B>

• Members

Hi: Packrat): I assume a phono cord is a shielded mono (ts) or stereo (trs) 10-25' cable with 1/4" male phono jacks @ each end....Maybe should call them guitar cords instead? A patch cord is same thing but, only 3 ft. A ? for ( scientist): What's the diff. between the Korg emx & esx? cheers:

• Members

Hi: Packrat): I assume a phono cord is a shielded mono (ts) or stereo (trs) 10-25' cable with 1/4" male phono jacks @ each end....Maybe should call them guitar cords instead? A patch cord is same thing but, only 3 ft. A ? for ( scientist): What's the diff. between the Korg emx & esx? cheers:

"Phono jacks" is pretty non-specific. Calling it a guitar cord isn't much better. No particular reason you should have seen hum from those cables that you didn't from the longer ones, that's usually ground loops due to people futzing about with balanced things they don't understand.

EMX is EA + ER, ESX is sampling.

B>

• Members

Hi: Packrat) I got rid of the hum problem by using 3 different wall outlets & putting the lite dimmer control on diff. circuit & crossing pwr cords & speaker cords @ 90 degree angles................................................When i got the EMX @ SamAsh a few years ago, the sales clerk said the EMX & ESX were physicaly identical drum machines, except for the color & that the red one was for dance music only! I kid you not! So i bought the blue one ' cause of the demo song & a few days later, got the ESX 'cause it had diff. stuff on it. cheers/thanx:

Archived