Are any MXR pedals true bypass ?

woodsmandan

• Members

my older phase 90 is. i didn't know that until i had it plugged in backwards and didn't notice til i tried to engage it. it didn't work.

the carbon copy is too, as well as the MXR/CAE MC401/402.

those are the only mxr pedals i've ever had... so i don't know about the rest.

• Members

Then why do they not say it is True Bypass?

Beats me bro.:confused:

My best guess is that they threw the "hardwire" in there to ensure the consumers that it wasn't one of the "almost true bypass" designs. Fwiw, I have three MXR "true hardwire bypass" pedals and I'm happy with the bypassed signal.

• Members

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/bypass.htm

True "Hardwire" Bypass is a marketing trick.

Quoted from above site:

"Hardwire bypass (sometimes even called "true hardwire bypass"): This only means that the switching isn't electronic. In 90% of the cases, it's the good old half-assed bypass with a buffer section in front, to ease the signal loading. In the final 10%, the pedal simply doesn't have the buffer. For instance, MXR uses a buffer at the start of the effects circuit, which is designed to present a high enough input impedance to be "electrically transparent" - the idea being that the electrons will not even try to move that way, when the bypass line is open. I've even heard Dunlop techs repeatedly refer to this system as True Bypass. Well, it isn't. True Bypass depends on the effects circuit being physically disconnected from the input signal, in bypass mode. But does the Dunlop/MXR system (sometimes referred to as "electronic true bypass" - an oxymoron if I ever heard one) work as intended? Not really - it may be as "invisible" as it wants - it will still drop the overall input impedance the pickups "sees", compared to when it's active (thus changing the tone).

There's one exception to the above - Digitech markets a line of pedals under the name "Hardwire", and contrary to their name, they actually seem to be true bypass for real. They use relay switching to provide true bypass in a Boss-esque stompbox, and according to their own description, the circuit is disconnected at both ends in bypass mode, leaving only a straight in-out connection. True bypass, in other words. Thumbs up for Digitech (although the pedal series' name can be a little misleading in this case). "

• Members

I demand someone with a meter, check this out.

And until MXR change their product description, I will not believe it is.

I was told, as was all of HCFX by the guy that designed it,(forget his name, he posts rarely) its a fact that millennium bypass is true bypass, if you built effects you'd know this and its also a fact that the carbon copy uses this kind of switching which means that the carbon copy is TB. All other MXR pedals are not TB.

• Members

Then why don't MXR hype the {censored} out of it?

Edit, I'm not trying to be belligerent, I'm genuinely confused.

Probably because then people will realize all their other pedals AREN'T TB and they will start loosing on sales and have to redeisign all their PCB layouts. for millennium switching.... Just an idea.

• Members

Ha! But I thought the general consensus was that they were not TB, hence my misconception....

Pah, I give up; I'm going to by an M13...

You'd be surprised how many people think "hardwire bypass" is TB, it would suck in a lot of people, maybe not people on HCFX who know better but theres more people who dont post on HCFX than do.

Archived