I just got an Alesis ION!!!!!

cornstone

• Members

I heard from a few people saying that JP-8 filter is the best one on the Ion. In digital world, it IS the closest thing to the real deal as far as I heard. I have most high end VAs including the Nord Lead 3 and Waldorf Q, but this little $599 devil still impresses me. :evil: The other D-50 thread helped me to discover D-50's possibilities, resulting in a purchase. I'm afraid Ion/Micron will be the next :freak:

• Members

I still have to play an actual Jupiter 8 - I'd love a chance (and I've already heard the JP6 and MKS80 but they're supposedly nothing like it, I'll trust clusterchord's judgement on this :D ).

I'll look up what the preset was called, I only changed the attack (in the demo) and the filter type). Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking at the JP8V plugin by the way; the PC demo version didn't really work that well anyway.

• Members

The problem with the real one is the inflated prices. Supply is limited, demand is like crazy. I made a $3000+ offer for one and not taken serious. Nowadays one must be ready to throw $4000+ for a usable one. Alesis Ion comes to the equation at this point. Maybe not exactly the same, but I trust it the most among other VAs and softies for analog emulation. Even just the JP-8 emulation is worth the purchase. MKS-80 is really a different story, so not a substitute for JP-8. Rather prefer P5.

• Members

I still have to play an actual Jupiter 8 - I'd love a chance (and I've already heard the JP6 and MKS80 but they're supposedly nothing like it, I'll trust clusterchord's judgement on this
:D
).

Hah... i will play Clusterchord's JP-8 within 20 days. But that's nothing.... His Prophet rev 2 :love: :love: is finally coming from Encore (MIDI retrofit). Time for some Patrick Cowley vibes!!! :eek::love:;):thu:

I'll look up what the preset was called

You have 24 hours to locate the name of the preset. :D:cop:

• Members

Hah... i will play Clusterchord's JP-8 within 20 days. But that's nothing.... His Prophet rev 2
:love:
:love: is finally coming from Encore (MIDI retrofit).

Ahhh, sweet SSM love baby! The poly I built back in the day consisting of E-MU voice demo boards stuffed with SSMs had a truly magical sound.

polymonster.jpg

• Members

''i will play Clusterchord's JP-8 within 20 days. But that's nothing.... His Prophet rev 2 :love: :love: is finally coming from Encore (MIDI retrofit). Time for some Patrick Cowley''

Tell clusterchord our best wishes. So, you seem from Croatia too ;)

• Members

Hi people...

I just picked up a new Ion 2 weeks ago here in the UK. I already own an Andromeda A6 as of this year, Virus Ti, Moog LP, and the little Micron (which is used in my bedroom setup for song ideas).

Imo the ION really nails the analog goo like no other VA, the filters are amazing. Having enjoyed my Micron for the past year, I purchased the ION as a back up do it all (analog) programmable synth for when i don't wish to power up the A6. The moog sounds are very close to my LP, and carefully programmed pads can be rewarding. I like to keep the Ion sounds dry to keep them closer sounding to the analog sounds.

My fav filters are JP, Mg, and Ob. The analog drift is very cool, especially on lower settings. I really like using the drive output (with compressor) to make things sound more solid and ballsy.

Overall a very power analog sounding synth.

• Members

Ahhh, sweet SSM love baby! The poly I built back in the day consisting of E-MU voice demo boards stuffed with SSMs had a truly magical sound.

polymonster.jpg

I guess mate_stubb is making an analog statement here. I 'm still on the hunt for a Prophet-5 and other true analog synths / to fall from the sky. (hey, it happens).

• Members

I am not sure to sell my Ion - i'm very close to it. Perhaps i should give it second chance.
:(

I am very happy with the ION and I am thinking of getting myself another one for Xmas. However, having said that I can understand people do NOT like the ION as much as I do, since it has its quirks. E.g. some of the filter distort when using a higher oscillator setting in the pre-filter mix (or you are adding up 3 oscillators) what somehow ends up in cheesy distortion that doesn't sound musical. Also the effect section doesn't do the magic as with the Virus. After all, it is not as easy to tweak as a NL is, even they add the graphic display (what doesn't do anything for me, btw.)

However, the concept of having two independent filters and the mod matrix is worth the time you need to invest to get the good results. Sure, it helps when you like the Xpander because you will find most features in the ION including the tracking generator. Plus the 3 oscillator & dual filter design actually add lots of sound range!!:love:

• Members

I'm not so happy with filters on Ion. I found AN1-x filters to be way way better. I understand this all depends on one's needs, and how you train your ears - what is "fat" and what is "thin" for someone. My other analogs (where i train my ears) are: Waldorf Pulse, Neptune 2, MKS-50, MKS-70, Yamaha CS-15, Juno 60, Polysix, MS-20, SH-101, Monopoly, Matrix 6R. After i MIDI-ed all of them i found no longer need for VA's. The only exception is AN1-x which i must keep for its Pads.

I like the ION for leads and sound efx, but the pads are a bit thin overall.

• Members

I still have to play an actual Jupiter 8 - I'd love a chance (and I've already heard the JP6 and MKS80 but they're supposedly nothing like it, I'll trust clusterchord's judgement on this
:D
).

I'll look up what the preset was called, I only changed the attack (in the demo) and the filter type). Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking at the JP8V plugin by the way; the PC demo version didn't really work that well anyway.

Any luck finding that preset?:poke:

• Members

Thank you UPS for not destronying my ION.

Well it made it here without any damage. The ion sounds very, very, good. I have it running thru my fxs and it sounds amazing. Its rocking my sub nicely. Two big thumbs up. :thu::thu: Although when i jumped on my hammond i seemed to love it even more than before. NOTHING like the real thing thats for sure. I can't wait to get a A6 or Prophet-5 but the ion should do fine for now.

Archived