worst albums production wise (1990-present era)

tubezipper

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

uh.

no heroes has better production than any of those albums.

of course,

i love them all.

They are more than just a hardcore band, but "No Heroes" was a hardcore record. Stuff like "Grim Heart/Black Rose" isn't anything compared production-wise to something like "Phoenix in Flight/Flames". They work best with layering which is why the density of "Jane Doe" is so great. But they were also meant to be a 4-piece, and "You Fail Me" is I think pure brilliance. It had a mood to the record and a depth to it despite it's simplicity. It sounds like they wanted a mood and tone for the record more than they did for "No Heroes".

• Members

You and Steve close pals, I guess?

I think you're referring to the Scott Litt damage factor.

I'm not pulling the snob card like that I swear. I just know Albini would've had his name not on it at all if he could've considering he didn't...never mind. You obviously are aware.

• Members

i dont like how circa's new album has no rhythm guitar but it's a wonderful wall of sound otherwise. it's just a weird mix to try to pick up the details

I don't think McTernan really knows how to do a wall of sound. God damn would it be magnificent if Circa could work with someone like who the Pumpkins have worked with. Get Alan Moulder in there, or whoever worked on the Mew records.

They need to forget about working with anyone and everyone from their hardcore roots.

• Members

Dillinger Escape Plan's "Miss Machine"

I agree that bad mastering can unravel good production, but here's a case where the engineering and mixing were SO bad that even a great mastering engineer like Alan Douches couldn't save it.

It may not be as bad as the Chili Peppers, Metallica, or Smashing Pumpkins (who all round out the rest of my "worst production" list), but at least I can hear what's going on in those records. I can imagine how someone thought they were passable.

Miss Machine's mistakes are just baffling and inexcusable.

• Members

I agree that bad mastering can unravel good production, but here's a case where the engineering and mixing were SO bad that even a great mastering engineer like Alan Douches couldn't save it.

It may not be as bad as the Chili Peppers, Metallica, or Smashing Pumpkins (who all round out the rest of my "worst production" list), but at least I can hear what's going on in those records. I can imagine how someone thought they were passable.

what do you hate about miss machine? whenever i listen to it, i cant help but wonder if they meant to record drums without overheads but other than that and the bass being inconsistent, what's so bad about it?

• Members

Dude everything Douches does is sterile. That's why he's the king of metalcore. Dillinger aren't a metalcore band anymore. I don't think Alan is the one you should be praising.

• Members
There is no producer on 10,000 Days. Joe Barresi mixed and engineered it under the direction of the band.

Maybe that explains it. :idk:

The last 3 Mars Volta records. PROTIPS:

These are records that I enjoy, but lord almighty is the production bad.

• Members
Maybe that explains it. :idk:

The last 3 Mars Volta records. PROTIPS:

You're being harsh on Volta but you're mostly right. Especially on the guitar.

Big LOLZ that you mentioned "Adrenaline". Not because you're wrong, but like...holy crap, yeah...we know. Gotta give'em credit thoguh for working well with what they had...I guess.

• Members

You're being harsh on Volta but you're mostly right. Especially on the guitar.

Big LOLZ that you mentioned "Adrenaline". Not because you're wrong, but like...holy crap, yeah...we know. Gotta give'em credit thoguh for working well with what they had...I guess.

Just so that it's understood, I absolutely love those albums. I just think they could be a lot better if there weren't ultra-compressed wah guitar solos every 5 seconds. It would be nice to hear the keys, sometimes!

Adrenaline and Sunny Day have bad production, but that's actually part of why I like those records. They sound like garage bands, and that's exactly what they were, so it's perfect. I'd rather have a patina of rust and verdigris on a record then have it made out of 1,000-watt neon and pleather.

Archived